Continuos muscle twitches after olanzapine and mirtazapine. Can it be tardive dyskinesia?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone,

my name is Nicholas and I'm a 21 years old guy from Italy.

I suffered from chronic insomnia from the age of 15 and in mid-February 2017 was prescribed before bedtime the antidepressant mirtazapine at 15 mg and the antipsychotic olanzapine at 2,5 mg. I took them for 2 weeks without improvement. Therefore the psychiatrist increased mirtazapine at 30 mg and olanzapine at 10 mg. Now I believe that he thought I had bipolar disorder type 1 but I hadn’t any mental illnes.

I took olanzapine at 10 mg because I think was only a tranquilizer and because I trusted the doctor.

Olanzapine made me sleep for 13 hours but I was no longer myself. After 5 days I tried to split the tablet but it gave me a strange effect. So I continued for others 15 days at 10 mg because I really needed to sleep. Then in April 2017 I tapered olanzapine in 1 week because I could not live anymore like that. I took it for a total of 48 days.

After this I reduced mirtazapine to 15 mg and 1 week later I stop cold turkey. At that time I took the benzodiazepine brotizolam at 0,25 mg for 2 weeks to help me sleep.

The withdrawal symptoms were terrible for 4 months and I have not been the same anymore.

When I was on mirtazapine and olanzapine I had eyelids fasciculation 2 or 3 times per day. When I quitted olanzapine the eyelids fasciculation ceased.

2 weeks after withdrawal from olanzapine and 1 week from mirtazapine I started to have frequently intermittent muscle twitching in the left thigh and occasionaly pulsating muscles in other parts of the body. After less than a couple of months they have decreased in frequency and intensity but didn’t stop completely. During this period I was forced to take the antidepressant sertraline and the benzodiazepine diazepam because for the new psychiatrist I had obsessive compulsive disorder with an obsession for the damage of antipsychotics. I did not have anything like that and could taper and withdraw after 3 months in July 2017.

Now I think maybe that the muscles twitching have diminished because diazepam is also a muscle relaxant.

In August 2017 I started to have continuous fasciculations in the legs when I lie down and less frequently when I sit while I never had them when I move. Few times a day I had pulsating muscles also in the arms and the trunc but never in the face. I never had muscle twitches in multiple parts of the body at the same time.

In September the muscles twitching moved for 1 week in the lower abdominals.

In October 2017 for 2 weeks the muscles twitches suddenly stopped in the legs and continued in the rest of the body about 10 times per day.

When the muscles twitching returned they were milder. Sometimes the fasciculations are so mild that when I looked at my calf I saw them without feel them. In the legs they have become more single rapid muscular contractions than pulsating muscles.

Soon after I started to have continuos pulsating muscle in my upper lip. The muscle twitch was very mild and lasted 2 weeks but after it I have sometimes pulsating muscle also in my face.

Do you think it is a tardive dyskinesia caused by olanzapine despite I haven’t involuntary body movements?

Do you think it could be some other side effect caused by olanzapine or maybe mirtazapine? It’s 8 months that I’ve it.

I have been visited by several psychiatrists and neurologists and everyone said it was just stress.

Even if I do not have the symptoms of tardive dyskinesia I do not know what else it could be: I’m not stressed and I do not suffer from anxiety, I do not take stimulants, I can sleep, I have had blood tests and I haven’t electrolyte imbalances or hypoglycemia, I did electromyography and had normal results.

The thing that worries me most is that there is a very large amount of medical literature that associates tardive dyskinesia with cognitive impairments.

If it were to be tardive dyskinesia do you think that the fact that for almost 2 weeks the muscles twitches had almost disappeared means that I am healing?

Thank you and greetings from Italy.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My heart aches for you.I can understand how much pain you are going through.I was on risperidone for one month and stopped cold turkey,as I had zero knowledge of tapering.My psychiatrist did not inform me about tapering.As a result ,my brain going into the dream condition but not into sleep.So that I am on olanzapine for life to sleep.Psychiatry is fraud.Psychiatry is life threatening.
  • Posted

The site Surviving antidepressants is where you can find people suffering like you
  • Posted

Thank you very much rupa.

I already knew the site and I recognized you because I had read your story.

I have the same problem with dreaming and sleeping since I was 17 old. I know it's worse than not sleeping and It has ruined my life.

I went to a psychiatrist to heal and I was completely destroyed.

When I came back from the psychiatrist who prescribed olanzapine with documents about neuroleptic damage that I had collected to ask him explanations about his prescription he let me out of the room and told my parents that I was delusional and needed an injection of risperidone... Fortunately they did not do it to me because I was able to convince my parents that I didn't need it.

My parents don't believe that olanzapine have damaged me and they make fun of me and insult me.

I would have many things to tell you but English is not my language.

Come off olanzapine, it's destroying your brain!

Good luck sweet rupa.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.