Continuous ankle pain after achilles rupture

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, new to the forum. I'm just wondering whether anyone else has had continuous pain following achilles surgery.

Background:

I ruptured the achilles on my left leg in August 2020 and had surgery a week later. Following surgery, I was placed into a plaster cast for two weeks (Equinus position - non weight-bear) and was then placed into a Vacoped boot for four weeks (Locked plantar flexion 30° for two weeks then plantar flexion 15 - 30° for two weeks - both full weight-bear.

6 weeks after my surgery, I developed an infection in the achilles wound and had to be operated on again to clean the infection and to clean scar tissue.

I then commenced the above procedure again - plaster cast for two weeks, Vacoped boot locked plantar flexion 30° for a week, then plantar flextion 15 - 30° for two weeks, then dynamic plantar flexion ( 0 - 30°) for four weeks.

Boot was then removed and normal walking resumed and physiotherapy started.

All in all, my foot was in a Vacoped boot for a total of 11-12 weeks instead of the usual 10 weeks with ankle movement fully restricted by the Vacoped boot.

Its now 8 months since my injury and the actual achilles feels fine but I am having issues with my ankle/foot. I have continuing pain directly below my ankle and to the left side of it. I am unable to run due to the pain in my ankle and any lengthy walks result in swelling and extreme pain in my ankle/foot and I am unable to weight-bear on it

Could the lack of movement of the ankle in the Vacoped boot for so long have caused damage to the tendons/ligaments of my ankle or is ankle pain normal following surgery?

Advice required please. Thank you in advance

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.