Continuous genital herpes outbreaks dispite surpressive therapy

Posted , 53 users are following.

I contracted genital herpes from an assault 7 years ago. I've always battled with the the occasional mild outbreak, usually around my period time. However, about two years agoI had a huge outbreak, bigger than my first. Since then Ive taken daily alciclovir, as perscribed by my doctors. However, the outbreaks have gotten more frequent. Around October time, I started getting them every two weeks, but since around Christmas, i have lesion, then that heals, then another appears, then that heals etc etc. I'm really at my wits end. Can anyone offer advice?

2 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I wish I knew the answer to that, because I breakout at least once a month on daily meds.

Are you drinking alcohol and staying up late, eating lots of sweets, nuts and drinking coffee?

Today is probably my first day ever I've gone w out feeling some sort of strange sensation down below, but I'm waiting for that to change, as I'm now on my second day of my cycle and usually have one sore breakout inside.

Have you stopped taking a birth control, having any other health issues and/or close to Peri menopause age?

• Posted

I also had back to back outbreaks,  however, I found having a large slice of pineapple everyday helped me and when I feel an outbreak coming on I increase the pineapple.   Also have a good Vitamin C approx 1000 ml.

Please let me know if it helps you too.  I hope it does

Kind Regards

• Posted

I take lots of vitamin c as is, but haven't tried pineapple. I will go ahead and incorporate that in and let you know. Thanks
    • Posted

Even though it's awful, it makes me feel better im not alone. I stopped birth control about 6 months ago because it was effecting my outbreaks and wanted it all out of my system. I'm 26, so not sure about the peri menopausal, will have to research more into what that means/is. I've limited coffee to one cup a day, I don't eat excessive sugar, but could cut down further. I do a lot of running and eat healthy, so I don't know if it's diet related. Thank you for your reply. I guess we can just keep taking the meds and hope for the best...!!
    • Posted

I take daily multi vitamins aswell as echinacea. I'm also prescribed iron tablets, plus my alciclovir. I will try the pineapple though! Thanks!
    • Posted

Why do you think it's the birth control causing the obs? I'm on BC as well, but I can't stop taking it, because I have severe endometriosis. If I stopped it, I'd end up having surgery again and this time likely a hysterectomy, so it's not an option for me. Now you're making me wonder if it is my BC? I wouldn't worry if you were Peri meno at your age, I was just trying to figure out what could have changed for you.

Do you feel like anything has changed w your health as of late? To me, it leads me to believe your immune system is tied up elsewhere. I wish there was a drug that could put the virus to sleep indefinitely..

How about your alcohol intake? Alcohol will trigger mine, but only when I go out drinking all night and drink stuff like vodka, cranberry and red bull. Those nights, I usually didn't take my pill, but would break out by morning. I'm at least thankful for the fact my obs arw jot painful while on the meds and although I will get red bumps and/or blisters.. They never really turn into a lesion. I found that taking 1000mlgs twice last week vs my daily 500, has made a difference in my symptoms. I usually have itching daily or crawly feelings and I'm not really.

Do yiu have stuff like that? Like feels like a bug is crawling on your skin on your buttock and or back of leg ever? It is a tickling feeling that makes you itch it once and then it stops.

• Posted

When you run, don't get extremely dehydrated as this is supposed to be a trigger

• Posted

Getting dehydrated is a trigger? Oh man I’m going through my first outbreak and didn’t drink much yesterday and the day before because it’s SO PAINFUL TO go to the washroom. My friend forced me to take these hydralyte tablets to avoid dehydration. Now I’m just drinking a ton of water so when I have to go the amonia in my urine is too diluted to hurt that much. 
    • Posted

Hormones mess with EVERYTHING..... BC are hormones, so yeah, it could have an impact. As a sufferer for nearly 30 years, there is not enough research being done for this.

• Posted

Ugh, i totally am right there with you. I usually have 1 or 2 ob a year but for some strange reason I've had 4 since thanksgiving. Even the valtrex isn't helping me. Sorry, wish i had some advice to give but you are not alone
    • Posted

My mom started peri menopause, which is different than full blown menopause at 38. What happens w out moms, doesn't necessarily mean the same will apply for us. There are woman who start peri in their late 20s. I know that hormone levels start dropping in your late 30s, so I will be interested to hear if this other females age and maybe establish a connection w obs.
    • Posted

Well I'm not educated on pre menopause yet. I don't have a menstrual cycle, haven't for 4 years now cause i had the ablation surgery.
    • Posted

I'm really not sure what Peri Menopausal means... I'm only 26...
    • Posted

No changes in mood, temperatures etc. I've recently moved and started a new job, but in happier than ever and had more sleep! So I don't think its that. Luckily my partner is being understanding, but I'm worried I'll be like this for the rest of my life??!
    • Posted

Perimenopause, or menopause transition, begins several years before menopause. It's the time when the ovaries gradually begin to make less estrogen. It usually starts in a woman's 40s, but can start in her 30s or even earlier.

Perimenopause lasts up until menopause, the point when the ovaries stop releasing eggs. In the last 1 to 2 years of perimenopause, this drop in estrogen speeds up. At this stage, many women have menopause symptoms.

How Long Does Perimenopause Last?

The average length of perimenopause is 4 years, but for some women this stage may last only a few months or continue for 10 years. Perimenopause ends when a woman has gone 12 months without having her period.

• Posted

Does your partner have herpes too? If not, would you mind sharing your story on telling him and how he handled it? I've not been through meeting someone and telling them yet. I've been infected since last July now.
    • Posted

Thank you for this, my periods are still regular though
    • Posted

I started pretty menopause in my mid 30'S but did not go through menopause till I was about 48.

• Posted

It is possible that it is a sign something else is weakening your immune system so don't take the repeated outbreaks too lightly

• Posted

I've had to tell multiple partners that i was infected with HSV. I was PETRIFIED. horribly. most important thing is to tell them before there is any sexual relations. I've made the mistake of telling partners after i had already had relations with them and a few of them felt like i trapped them with this although none of them have it. The guy i'm currently with was one of the guys i told before we had any relations. He was very understanding about it because he knew the guy who gave it to me. He accepts me despite the fact that i have hsv and i'm 99% sure that it's because i told him before anything happened. So, best advice i can give about telling someone is to tell them before there is any sexual contact... maybe not the first thing you tell him but definitely before. Hope this helps!

• Posted

I haven't had sex or dated since I found out I have HSV2...idk who even gave it to me...Dr said it could've been from my teenage yrs..who knows..it's like I don't wanna even try to meet a girl cause I know she's gonna run like hell..ugh...but thx for the help and stay in touch please...

• Posted

Hiya how's r u?I was just reading through to c if anyone had advice as iv had herpes for 15 years now and bcos iv had it for so long i hardly get outbreaks . But recently been getting them every month and can't understand why.

Iv had several partners who iv told in the past and also now I'm married i told my husband probably 6 months after we started seeing each other. The reason i didn't tell them until 6 months on was to prove to them that I'm in control of it and they would be very unlikely catch the virus.

Iv been with my husband 6 years now and never once have we used a condom.

Iv never given it to anyone else either as i always know when I'm about to have an outbreak. Do you always know??

So that's how i went about telling partners after around 6 months and just said i had something to discuss with them.

I explained i had a one night stand when i was around 25 and unfortunately caught the herpes virus,but i always know when I'm gonna have a sore so it's very unlikely to affect you as you can see bcos you haven't contracted it,i explained that it just means that while i have an outbreak we can't have sex and up to a couple of weeks after.

Up to now the partners iv told have been absolutely fine about it.

Hope this helps 😊

• Posted

Hi Samantha. I am having the same issue. I have had this 25 years and was good until. 3 years ago. I take antivirals but they don't work. I also take supplements that aren't working. I'm an anxious mess. I have s non h boyfriend and he is great and supportive but I'm not sure how long that will last since I'm afraid to have sex with him. If I find anything that helps me with constant symptoms I will post.

• Posted

Ok yeah the doctor at the ER told me that a week after u heal you aren’t contagious. But I see contradictory statements to that  everywhere. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.