Continuous genital herpes outbreaks dispite surpressive therapy

Posted , 53 users are following.

I contracted genital herpes from an assault 7 years ago. I've always battled with the the occasional mild outbreak, usually around my period time. However, about two years agoI had a huge outbreak, bigger than my first. Since then Ive taken daily alciclovir, as perscribed by my doctors. However, the outbreaks have gotten more frequent. Around October time, I started getting them every two weeks, but since around Christmas, i have lesion, then that heals, then another appears, then that heals etc etc. I'm really at my wits end. Can anyone offer advice?

2 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Amino acid Arginine is the main culprit that instigates herpes outbreaks so foods rich in that should be avoided and foods (or supplement) lysine should be taken instead to quell the herpes outbreaks. Here is a list of supplements said to moderate the virus and reduce its outbreak:

- monolaurin

- caprylic acid

- olive leaf extract

- lemon balm

- butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) found to reduce length of outbreaks

Of course, none of these will eliminate the virus but sure help in keeping it dormant.

• Posted

I appreciate this post as it's recent and hopefully together we can come up with ideas that will help us. I'm not convinced the medical community (at least those I've consulted personally) are really versed at this enough to give the best advice. [Thanks to the posters about the pineapple and the supplements.]

Anyway, I contracted herpes in my youthful days of indiscretion about 30 years ago. My outbreaks were annually for about 25 years so they weren't really that hard to deal with. Since my hormones started changing with menopause, however, my outbreaks are continuous. I have lesions no matter my diet or stress level or suppressive meds. I can't help but believe it is hormone related and am currently considering hormone replacement therapy to see if that helps (although I realize that's a whole other risk issue.)

I'll follow this thread for a while and see if it might be more useful to all involved if I start another one specifically addressing post-menopausal herpes.  It's all the same virus, but as I'm convinced my increase in outbreaks is hormone related, I realize it's not as applicable to younger posters. 

Has anyone had any relief to their outbreaks with hormone replacement therapy?

• Posted

Change in hormones will cause breakouts. Just being on my cycle causes an ob w me even on meds. The concern w hormone therapy that existed yrs ago is not an issue today, as long as you use natural hormone therapy and not synthetic hormones.
    • Posted

I really appreciate this post too.  I also contracted herpes in my youthful days of indiscretion (I love that phrase) - contracted it when I was 27 and I'm 58 now.  I suffer outbreaks a lot, every two months and recently it's just continuous.  I have had a hysterectomy and have been using hormone replacement therapy for about 5 years and this has made no difference to the attacks.  I can actually deal with the attacks once the lesions break out, but for me, the period before that are basically hell.  Ususally 2-3 weeks of feeling desperately tired, so irritable that I could explode and also very down and cry like a baby.  I am so lucky that my husband (of 18 years) is very, very understanding - my teenage children too.  I just wonder if anyone else out there suffers like I do.  I've also found that the doctors I've seen don't understand this virus at all.  One doctor told me that because I was depressed it caused the virus to break out.  I disagreed with him and got a lecture about how he had studied medicine.  That was the last time I saw him!  If I was continually depressed I would have been able to agree with him, but as soon as the lesion breaks, I feel such a relief and "normal" again.  I could go on and on, but am trying to keep to the point (which I find hard)!  smile   I'd just love to hear from anyone who can give any more tips.  I will definitely try the food tips - pineapple is on my shopping list for today.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info on HRT.  I still might try it.  I think I found a reasonable doctor to talk to about it, at least.

FYI - I found someplace online (not sure how I missed it over the years) a group of people who swear by coconut oil -- both topically to help heal /prevent outbreaks and taken orally to help prevent.  The posts I found said 3 tablespoons a day -- which is A LOT.  I've been taking 1 tablespoon a day (as it makes me gag) along with l-lysine and I just went about 1 entire week without an OB in more months than I can remember.  I also cut out peanutbutter (which I usually eat almost ever day).  

Anyway, just throwing out ideas.  It seems like this affects many of us in different ways, so I can only let you know what's working for me.

• Posted

I had constant obs too and constant paresthesia daily, about 20xs a day. Game changer for me was the folkowing supplement routine.

- 2000 milligram daily of both vitamin C & D

- zinc and magnesium

- all B vitamins

- daily live culture probiotic was the biggest change for me. 70% of our immune system is in our gut and it usually is off balance due to today's processed foods and medications.

Does your husband have it too?

When I quit daily therapy in late Jan, early Feb, I developed severe CFS. If I do physical activity that is strenuous, before two hrs is reached I am bone tired fatigue.. Four hrs walking around a park will do the same to me. Now if I cry and get really emotional, I feel physically ill and get that severe fatigue. It is very strange and didn't happen till I stopped daily therapy. I'm back on therapy and it's still doing it.

Doctors don't know jack about it and they look at you crazy I'd you tell them about the neuropathy from it

• Posted

Thanks for the supplement recommendation.  I will try it and see how it goes.

My husband DOES NOT have it.  I contracted it before we met -- and I actually had it almost 17 years before I went in to have it officially diagnosed.  By then - he was like, "It's too late to worry about now."  I thought for sure he must be an asymptomatic carrier, but about 5 years ago (25 years into our marriage) he had a full STD screening and it showed he was herpes free.  I'm thankful, but I really can't explain it.  I haven't had any trouble with fatigue.  Maybe that's something for me to look forward to. [NOT!]  I'm hoping some of these new ideas will help.  Thanks again.

• Posted

Wow.. So he was tested for herpes, because fill STD screening doesn't include herpes, you have to ask for it specifically . very strange.. So you never had disclosure talk then? Well that must be nice. I'm 33 and have had it since last July and I had an unusual and horrific reaction to it, but the last couple months I've been doing pretty good. I had an internal sore today.. Doesn't bother me though.. It was the 4th day of my period, which I usually get it on the third day.. I just feel it removing and inserting tampons.. I used to have obs externally too and daily symptoms, but not for two months now
    • Posted

herpes doesnt tend to "show" up on any STD screenings it can only really be diagnoised from a swap of an active OB and even sometimes then depending on the healing stage it can come back clear. however that is great that your husband doesnt have any symptoms
    • Posted

I am having fibromyalgia type symtoms and i am begining to believe its linked to the herpes. and yes very emotional cry at the drop of a hat
    • Posted

That's perimenpause.... When my mom and neighbor went through that, they got on Prozac and they went back to the way they were before
    • Posted

I am having simular symptoms.  I  contracted herpes in my 20's from my ex husband. I am in my mid 50's and until about 6 months ago could control OB with Valtrex.  I believe I am actively going through menopause and also have had a lot of stress in my life for the last 2 years, although the chronic outbreaks started only 6 months ago.  I seem to have continuous outbreaks. Within the last 6 months or so I think I have only been out break free for about 2-3 weeks total.  I know that stress has a big part to play, as I can feel the prodromal tingling and shooting pains when I get even a small amount of stress, but  I think the hormonal changes are underlying my body's immune response ( or lack of) to the virus. I have stopped the Valtrex as even huge doses don't seem to curtail the outbreaks.   I don't feel that I can do the HRT as I have a high cancer risk.    I have an appointment with physician soon , but don't have a lot of hope that he can help.  But if there is any useful information,  I will write.   Oh,  I have pineapply in my green smoothie every day and it doesn't seem to help. I exercise for stress reduction.   Any other suggestions?
    • Posted

What about the natural bio hormones?

Daily probiotic was a huge game changer for me, as I had symptoms daily.

Make sure to soak in Epsom salt baths when you have symptoms. Reduces the OB period.

• Posted

Ruthiepegs,,Sorry to hear your troubles. I too, have those weeks of feeling tired, irritable and down. Also chills and stiff neck pain, but the tiredness kills me. HAve been searching forever it seems to find someone with my symptoms too.  The doctors DON'T understand and say, the virus doesn't act in that way.   I recently started to take meds 2x 400mg.  No help.  I've had this for just over 2 years and I had outbreaks last over 7 weeks. Then I started medication 2 months ago. And also when the outbreak starts there is relief. Aside from painful sores.  Going to see an Infectious Disease soon.  Aslo I try to stay positive but It knocks you right own emotionally. 
    • Posted

Hi jumpinjillflash,

Well I use raw honey as a cream when I feel an outbreak coming on and is gone within days. I've had herpes for about 10 years now but was in denial when I first noticed bumps. They came up once and not again until about 10 months ago. They have been one right after another and really bad. The first serve outbreak that I could no longer deny I had it was the worst. Lasted for almost two weeks.so I went online and some advice was to use raw honey. It has to be raw because the processed will make it worse. Look it up and research it really helps on making an outbreak go away as soon as possible. The second outbreak I got I used raw honey right away and gone in three days! I hope this helps. Good luck. I'm in a sad state right now that I've barely accepted that I have this. Just comforting to know I'm not alone 😥😢

• Posted

I have fibromyalgia and herpes as well, it is challenging on a good day. 
    • Posted

I am in the same "boat" with you on this topic. A young dr. kept telling me I was depressed...geeze. smile

• Posted

I too have just been recently told that I hace fibro also.And yes it is def challenging. I try to keep a good outlook,but somedays I fail smile

• Posted

So u and your husband had unprotected sex for years and he never contracted it?
    • Posted

You are not alone...my meds are not working, I'm taking 2000mg/valtrex a day and still having back to back OB...gonna see an infectious disease Dr. And see if they can help me...I just wanna die at this point,all my hope is gone,any sexual contact is out the window(I'm 48) still young, but giving up on having a normal life...

• Posted

I am male but I have a similar age. I just had a whopping outbreak that included my hands and wrists which has me scared. They don't know how this virus works. I have been on suppression Meds for years. Perhaps they have a price. Who knows!? The best thing I know to do is stay well fed and hydrated. Sleep well and use topical therapy as well as suppressive therapy to relieve your symptoms. Pray for the vaccine to be perfected. That supposedly will also get us too because if the unique nature of this disease.

• Posted

I believe some people just don't ever show symptoms at all. My partner never did.

• Posted

I have been having more frequent outbreaks after having rare and occasional. Had herpes since 1978. I was wondering if I was ill as I am very tired a lot of the time. Lots of aches and pains. Digestive issues. Low pancreatic enzymes. Then I see that other menopausal women are having more frequent outbreaks. I've never done replacement therapy and do take lysine but not anti virals. Try to avoid some nuts but my sleep habits and diet are irregular. Anyone following this discovered any health issues?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.