Continuous heart palpitations from gabapentin withdrawal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been off of gabapentin for a year and 3 months and still suffer waves of withdrawal

symptoms. What has me most worried is that I am still experiencing heart palpitations. They go away for a week or so and out of nowhere they come back!! Has anyone else had this happen? and if so will this ever go away?? Thx

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was on Gaba for 7 yrs 300 mg a day Been off for almost 2 yrs Still of have the heart stuff every now and then and depression once and awhile . But thats just me Sorry can't be more help

• Posted

Thanks Mary, I still have heart palpitations after being off for a year and 3 months. I heard they could last up to two years.(Protracted acute withdrawal) I try and stay hopeful that they go away.. but each time them come back I lose hope and go back and forth with it.. Thanks..

• Posted

First, it may be something other than gab, but yes, that happens quite often from the drug. If you got checked by your doctor and it's not the heart, it's the gab. We can't predict how long those symptoms from gab will last. I heard someone call it Brain Injury, not WD, which makes sense to me. It causes numerous, complex changes in our brains, some of which may never fully recover.

I just had some a little earlier today, after not having any for weeks. I remind myself, it's the gab setting off Fight or Flight, it WILL go away. But I think our old neanderthal brain (or whatever you call that part) just immediately reacts, and I have to tell it, ignore it!! We know better now, but the body does what it does.

Our recovery and symptoms are so individual. They're dependent on what other meds are involved, our overall health, how quickly or drastically we decreased our gab, life-style, stress etc. I'm down to 300, after a high of 2700 3 years ago, slowly tapering, but it's still hard. Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.