continuous UTI's

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone, I have ready most of your comments and it is interesting to see how many people are getting UTI's. I get mine because I have a catheter in because I am now unable to walk to the toilet. I've had a bad run of infections this year to the point now I really don't know what to do. I have been on Ciprofloxacin and co-amoxiclav most of this year as Trimethoprim doesn't work any longer. I am thinking about having a suprapubic catheter put in so it'll reduce the infections. Any advice from anyone on this? Any further advice would be mostly gratefully received. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Denise,

I'm wondering if you drink at least 1Lt water ( 8 glasses of water) everyday?

One of the main ways that can help your infection a lot is drinking so much water.

• Posted

Denise, could you wear a diaper instead of using a catheter, or do you need the catheter for other kidney/bladder issues?   I would think UTI's would be less with the diaper.

I would probably opt for the supra pubic catheter if you can find evidence that they reduce UTI's  Certainly you do not want to have to continue taking broad spectrum antibiotics forever.  

I

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.