contraception bleeding all the time

Posted , 3 users are following.

Importantly my age is 47, I have only needed contraception since oct 2015 having not used any hormonal contraception since 1993 the pill (Marvelon for five years and marvellous, no probs at all ). tried the cerelle mini pill no good at all bled constantly. Now have nexplanon implant spent the first year of it on  and off  Rigevidon (combi pill ) as well to control bleeding but this is of course only a temp measure . I have read all nhs advice and am within the criteria for going on the combi pill full time and having nexplanon taken out. I am seeing my doc on monday and am asking to have this abomination taken out of my arm and to go on the pill instead. Why has my doc previously stressed that I should have a mirena coil fitted rather than go on the pill she has happily prescribed me on top of an implant ? I have previously stressed that my absolute last resort is a coil I don't want a piece of copper or plastic in my womb thanks, especially if the said coil is yet again a progesterone only thing which obviously doesn't suit me. More constant bleeding for me, don't care what they say. I seem to react the opposite to expected anyway.  Anyone around my age out there with similar problems ? I am getting so desperate with this I am considering not using anything and having a termination if the worst happens.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I'm 36.... I had the implant in my arm for the full 3 years. The first year I didn't have any bleeding at all. After the second year I had month long periods that were VERY heavy. I finally got a regular doctor and she gave me birth control pills on top of the implant for a 3 month trial to regulate my period and that didn't work out for me. I had the worst side effects ever on the implant. So I was worreid about getting another hormonal birth control but went with the Mirena coil that I've now had since January. I have to say that I haven't had to many side effects like before. I have had a period here and there but nothing at all like the implant. They have been pretty light so far. No other problems. I will say having it put in was pretty painful for me since I haven't had childern but within a few days I felt better. So far so good.......I'm hoping in a year that the periods stay the same. Good luck.

• Posted

Mirena coil would be great for you: low dose, safe, effective managemetn of bleeding, progestagen arm of HRT if needed over next few years.

They certainly dont suit everyone but the Implant is well know for the trouble its caused you and is not a first line option for ladies with bleeding problems.

You could stay on marvelon or combined pill alone if it suits you +  NO OTHER RISK factors (which there are many + increase with age).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.