Contraceptives for heavy, painful periods

Posted , 4 users are following.

I posted this in the menstruation forum but I'll try here as well!

My period is really bad and seems to be slowly, progressively getting worse (more intense cramps, vomiting, a lot of bleeding and big clots). I tried a birth control pill (tri-lo-sprintec) for one month and it made my periods better but I felt depressed so I stopped. My gynecologist says my main 3 options now are 1. try a different pill and hope it's better, 2. get Nexplanon (arm implant), 3. get an IUD. She initially thought the IUD would be my best option for helping with the periods with less of a chance of depressive effects. The problem is I have vaginismus so it might not be possible for me to have an IUD, or even if it is possible, putting it in might be really stressful for me. My vaginismus seems better lately (doesn't happen every time anymore), so IUD may still be an option, but I'm leaning towards trying Nexplanon or another pill first.

Have any of you dealt with something similar? What would you do in this situation? Unfortunately, simply taking more ibuprofen/pamprin and suffering through my periods doesn't seem like an option anymore, since they're so severe 😦

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have had the Nexplanon for a full 3 years and in my experience it was awful. I would have a period for months straight, gained weight, was depressed! I then got the Mirena IUD and for me it's been great. I haven't had a period at all, which was nice after the terrible periods with the implant. Not everyone is the same so things might be different for you.

• Posted

Sorry to hear your experience was so bad with Nexplanon 😦 thank you for replying!

• Posted

In fact, Nexplanon is a good alternative to pills. I have been using it for 14 months now and I am completely satisfied. It was also a problem before and I started with the pills, but they only helped during the intake. I advise you to try Nexplanon.

• Posted

So I agree that Nexplanon is a good contraceptive. Reliable and secure.

• Posted

Thanks to those who replied to this! I got Nexplanon today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.