contrast dye for c t scan

Posted , 4 users are following.

i am scared to have the contrast dye with my upcoming C t scan , have read about a lot of bad reactions to it ,am not worried about the actual scan ,can you refuse the dye and still have the scan ,would like to hear from others who have had this procedure and how they got on

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

that’s so interesting. this is my first post but I had a really bad reaction to contrast tablets I was given for a scan of my intestines and every medic I spoke to denied it had anything to do with the tablets. However nothing else had happened to me during that time not even a cold or a cut and I was really sick for two weeks. I would never do it again ever

• Posted

I also wondered if there was another way but I just haven’t had the patience or courage to go back to it yet I just thought I’d rather live with the symptoms of bladder and bowel incontinence and feel as sick as I did for those two weeks with everyone to be denying my reality This is at least the third time I’ve had problems with procedures that I trusted the medical profession about but now I realise that if they don’t collect the stats of people who are reporting problems then we never have any cheese that’s when we go into anything so it’s all on safe. Sorry to be so worrying but it’s just impossible to know who to trust. I don’t generally think patients make stuff up on life

• Posted

when i went for my CT SCAN ,i explained that i didn,t want the contrast dye injected ,so they refused to do the scan ,that was months ago and i appear to be ok , so hopefully i didn,t need the scan

• Posted

As an imaging tech, not a doctor, I can tell you this. Some exams require contrast to see what otherwise would be invisible to the radiologist such as where the blood flow is and is not, the inside of organs and vessels. There are specific protocols (plans) and exams that are the "gold standard" for certain disease processes, the exam that shows the most specific information above all others.

For example, if you need a cardiac catherization you must have contrast or the doctor cannot see inside the arteries or define blockages. If the patient refuses contrast, the exam cannot be done.

You can certainly refuse the dye, but then the exam may not be able to be done at all. But what is the alternative? Don't wait till you are actually there. Speak with your doctor or their nurse before hand. If it is a nuclear medicine exam, you will be charged for the isotope that they ordered specifically for your exam and will be wasted if you refuse.

With CT contrast the major thing you will feel is fleeting warmth all the way to your bladder briefly when the injection is done. This feels weird but is not painful at all. The tech will explain exactly what will happen and when they inject.

If any us were to read the whole package insert on drugs, and all the reactions and complications of any procedure, no one would take or do anything at all. The newer contrast agents have way fewer reaction or complications, which every CT room is prepared to deal with.

You are right to be informed, but reactions are not commonplace and your doctor has determined that this test is necessary to sort out your symptoms. There needs to be a trust in your doctor and his/her medical knowledge. You can always ask if there is any other test that you can do that is as good, but I would be thinking they are following the best and clearest route to sorting out your symptoms.

So try to relax - easier said than done - go forth and get the answers to what ails you. Or call and see if there are any alternative exams. I wish you well.

• Posted

It depends on how you treat your body. I think usually if the doctors OK it and recommend it then it has to be a good thing. I have faith in the doctor and dentist, and other medical professionals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.