Contrast dye… My doctor says I may have triggered hyperthyroid

Posted , 4 users are following.

Contrast dye… My doctor says I may have triggered hyperthyroid

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Recently diagnosed with graves disease on medication for about three weeks now… Some improvement but curious that my doctor said her recent surgery on my leg with them using contrast dye may have triggered hyper thyroid has anyone heard of this?
    • Posted

It's all possible: MRI, CT, x-ray, angiogram,... any procedure that is conducted with injecting contrast die including iodine may cause hyperthyroidism. But there are other things (e.g., stress) that also can trigger HT. It's hard to pinpoint the exact trigger I think. And even figured, no way back to de-trigger the disorder already developed. However, it may be good for preventing further re-triggering or relapse after remission. 

• Posted

Hi...it's one of those things you'll never truly know, but in my case, my endocrinologist said the same thing.  I had nodules that were being monitored but after having 3 mri's with contrast within 6 weeks, I ended up with hyperthyroidism.  I agree that stress can also be a big impact but it is interesting that i was diagnosed not long after the mri's.  I ended up with hyperthryroidism caused by toxic nodules (not an autoimmune disease).  I had a total thyroidectomy in September/17.  I wish you luck as you work through this.

• Posted

Hi Jack, I've had Grave's Disease (hyperthyroid) twice and the second time I am quite sure it was triggered by aspartame contained in another medication.  Apparently that sweetener is suspect. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.