Contrast in MRI/CT scans and hyperthyroidism

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am sure I have read that the contrast used in MRI/CT scans can give some people  thyroid problems.  Over the past four years I have had several CT/MRI scans after a cancer diagnosis and it was during this time that my hyperthyroidism was diagnosed. My endocrinologist says contrast cannot/will not affect the thyroid but I am not so sure.  I am getting all the usual symptoms of Graves plus aching muscles, joint pain, sensitive skin, and my double vision has got markedly worse after the latest scan.

Anyone else experienced this?  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you had thyroid tests done after you experienced these symptoms?  If not, then it would be a good idea to ask your doc to do these.  Stress was what triggered my Graves disease and what you have gone through in the past four years certainly sounds stressful.

• Posted

Hi Rosemary,

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism not long after having 3 CT scans with contrast over a period of month. After a thyroid scan I was told the hyperthyroidism was caused by toxic nodules. I asked my Endocrinologist if the CT scans could have caused the problem and she said very likely.  There is no way to  know for 100% but she said definately could've contributed.  I hope that you're getting all the help you need to feel better. I'm sorry you've been going through so much at the same time.

• Posted

Hi Sophie

Thank you for your reply.  

Fortunately I haven't had three CT scans over the space of a month, only six monthly across four years plus an additional scan on my thyroid.  According to the endocrinologist I haven't got nodules on my thyroid which is a blessing so who knows he may well be right!

Rosie

• Posted

Hi Linda

A bit of background - I have been having CT/MRI scans since May 2014 although only six monthly.  My hyperthyroidism was identified in February 2017 when I developed palpitations and swollen feet etc but unfortunately I wasn't informed of the diagnosis until June 2017 when a further test was done and my T4 had reached 49. 

So yes, I'm now having blood tests mostly every month since that date and I swing from being hyper to hypo to such an extent that I have now been put on block and replace. The Graves was picked up in November 2017 by the eye clinic after swollen red gritty eyes even though the Graves test came back negative and the double vision started in January 2018.

Bliss - I now have prisms fitted to my glasses and I can see!

Rosie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.