Controlled hypertension suddenly spiking.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on 2 mg of Mavik (trandolapril) for about 3 years and it has seemed to control my high blood pressure quite well with minimal side effects. About 3.5 weeks ago I came down with a really bad sinus cold for which I took decongestants with pseudoephedrine as well as ibuprofen for the headaches, sinus pain and fever. As soon as that cold started I felt the pressure and feeling of fullness in my neck and head, similar to what I feel when my BP goes above normal range. But  being sick I assumed it was the effect of the sinus infection. Problem is, after the cold was over (lasted about a week), the sensation continued. So I checked my BP and got a nasty surprise of pretty high BP readings (in the 160/110 range). This has been going up and down like a yoyo between the upper range and almost normal for the past 2.5 weeks. I've had no incidents like this at all in the past 3 years so I was surprised. Did some research and found out that decongestants like pseudoephedrine as well as ibuprofen can increase BP and should be avoided. Sure wish my GP told me that when he prescribed Mavik.  Anyways, I assumed this was the reason for the spikes and figured once the meds were out of my system the BP would go back to normal. But, 3.5 weeks later (today), I'm still having issues. Had two days with good pressure but today, I'm back to 155/106 and feeling like poop. Tired, cold (I'm usually hot), pressure in head and neck and that almost-headache I get with high BP.

I am going to my GP tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences like this and what caused them?  I should mention that I'm a classic case for a high blood pressure problem:  51, overweight at 250 lbs and  5' 9", badly out of shape in a sedentary job, little to no exercise. I've had perfect BP up to 3 years ago.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Say attention to your sodium level. Read boxes and packages so you can lower your levels. And get your blood examined. Sometimes you can be low on for instance magnesium or vitamin d. And don't forget the pharmacist as a source of information. And it may be time for a new monitor

• Posted

g.90572...perhaps checking B12 levels is a good idea as well.
    • Posted

All the blood tests have been ordered and I am being careful with sodium. I have been a bit lax with it lately...

• Posted

I thought I'd give everyone an update. By the time I got a doctor's appointment my blood pressure had normalized yet again. It would appear the problem was a combination of Gingko Biloba supplement (which can raise BP), decongestants and Advil. So, no more Gingko and lesson learned to always check possible side effects of natural supplements. It was still a good wake up call and I'm now on a diet and exercise regime, trying to lose weight. It will be better for me all around, BP notwithstanding. Incidentally, I just checked it about 5 min ago, it was 118/78!  Thank you everyone who replied to my thread!

• Posted

Congrats!! Decongestants & Advil can & do raise bp. If you need a decongestant speak with the pharmacist. He/she can suggest something you could take while on bp meds. Also Advil should be no longer. Tylenol or Paracetamol instead. I will assume your're still taking the Mavik but the dosage hasn't been raised because of the lowering of the bp.

• Posted

Thanks, Mike! Yes, still taking the same dosage of Mavik, switched to Tylenol and will from now on always ask the pharmacist before I get any OTC drugs. Lesson learned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.