convinced I had liver failure but got the all-clear - are the "symptoms" in my head?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently had the all-clear from an ultra-sound, having been convinced my symptoms suggested liver failure.

I would lie in bed some nights feeling what I thought was an enlarged liver, convincing myself I had cirrhosis. On top of this, I have what I'm sure are Terry's nails and thought also palmar erythema. I started to feel what I thought was discomfort on my right side. Then I saw what I thought could be jaundice in the corners of my eyes - although I couldn't tell if it was pink or yellow. Have a history of drinking too much for years.

In my head, at times while I was waiting for the scan, I KNEW I had liver failure.

However, the bloods were normal, the doctor couldn't feel an enlarged liver and the scan was normal.

Just goes to show we read too much into "symptoms" sometimes. I'm not sure how much was/is in my head. The Terry's nails are definitely there, I would say. Palms less definite - I guess some people just have redder hands. As for the discomfort, this has pretty much disappeared for the two weeks since I had the all-clear. That must have been in my head.

If anyone is reading this thinking they have symptoms, don't take this as an excuse not to get them checked out. But try not to panic either.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Glad ur tests came back normal despite what u had thought. Perhaps this is a huge wake up call to reconsider ur relationship with alcohol. All my best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.