Convinced my blood tests are going to find something bad

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just turned 40, Ive been a heavy drinker for 10 years drinking 1-2 bottles of wine 4-5 nights a week . Last Saturday I drank 3 bottles of wine, I woke up at 5am next day as I had work at 7am that day. To try and sort myself out I drank 3 Monster energy drinks, I felt like crap but ok to got to work. At 4pm that day I started to feel very bad, like I was going to faint or have a heart attack. I left work early and went to A&E, they did and ECG and checked my BP which they said were fine. I was starting to feel better after a few hours there anyway. For the past few days I haven't felt well, I have the following symptoms

1.Low grade fever

?2.Very Fatiqued(but that feeling is starting to fade)

?3.Very bloated gassy stomach  that wont expel(I feel noises of air/gas breaking down in my stomach but nothing is expelled outside my body)

?4.No appetite at all

5.Long term acid reflux

?I got very emotional with myself the other night laying in bed convinced I was dying so I bit the bullet and went to the doctors yesterday and got bloods done, I'm worried sick I'm going to be given a death sentence next week

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Why would you harm your body like that and then freak out and urgently seek medical help ? You sound self destructive, you treat your body like crap so do feel free to expect that your body will start to malfunction sooner or later. Sounds like it already has starter. Sounds like its your pencreas but Im not sure. STOP HARMING YOUR BODY.
  • Posted

What’s done is done, you can’t change that but you still have the control to change what’s to come. Stop worrying, you are going to make yourself even more sick. Change your lifestyle and you will be just fine. First thing quit the drinking. Get some fresh air go for walks. Eat fruit and vegs. If you eat processed food then stop those as well. Eat fresh. You will start feeling a lot better. Your body can only take so much so please stop burdening it that it won’t have any choice left but to collapses and that’s when you won’t be able to do much about it then just regret. Hope the blood test come back ok. Take care. 
  • Posted

On the basis of whihc of these symptons do you think you are dying and/or are going to be given a death sentence?  Why have you not visited the doctors before especially as you say you have long term acid reflux. When I had regular long term acid reflux (3 months) I went to the doctors and had it investigate and it was hiatus hernia. When my husband had it he had it investigated he had Barretts oesophagus which has now turned to cancer. Acid reflux always needs investigating - you need an endoscopy sooner rather than later, but more important you need to stop drinking and starting eating properly even when you do not feel like eating.  Let us know the results of your blood tests and what your doctor says needs to be done next.
  • Posted

Thes symptoms may be consistent with some liver damage or inflammation, especially if you drink so much, but those processes take years or even decades to kill people (acute liver failure is rare and is usually due to some toxic event - like paracetamol overdose). So while your labs may come out bad and there may even be some permanent damage, a death sentence at 40 is highly unlikely. If you have some form of liver disease you might be given medications and the doctors will want life style changes (stop the alcohol!) but the diagnostic process will probably be long. Blood labs can give you results that something is wrong with your liver, but nothing more, they won’t really say what and how far it’s progressed. You would need more diagnostics (from an ultrasound to possibly a liver biopsy) for that.
  • Posted

Most X-Drinkers do remarkably well, provided they quit before advanced symptoms (jaundice, bleeds, swellings) appear.  Going teetotal for life is often difficult though, & it's the chronic relapsers that typically get into serious trouble.  

Labs early in recovery may be a bit out of whack, but when these normalize within 30 days or so, this is an optimistic sign.  Please don't despair if your numbers are slightly off.  This doesn't mean your liver has turned to stone.  

Stay healthy, & think about where you want to be 10 years from now.  

If liver labs remain chronically elevated, an abdominal ultrasound is the next diagnostic to pursue.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.