Convincing my doctor to remove my ovaries... Any advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a doctor appointment today with my gyn to discuss my options for my cyst. I'm not sure of size of quantity yet but I know it's big because I can feel it.

I've had cysts appear and disappear for 15 years but never before had symptoms to go along with them until this one. Over the last 6 months I've had all the symptoms and more! The thing is I've lost both my grandma (12 years ago) and my aunt (2 years ago) to ovarian cancer. I know I'm considered young to develop cancer however, I feel like why not just remove my ovaries... That way I can minimize the risk.

Any advice on how I can do that? My doctor is very conservative in the way of "unnecessary " tests so I'd imagine this request will be not accepted easily.

My appointment is in the afternoon and I'd really appreciate your help.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What type of cyst do you have? I had dermoid removed in May I am 32 and I was asking for a total hysterectomy I think the consultant thought I was barking as I was so worried it was cancer. He removed the cyst and all is well but I am like you I would rather be safe than sorry.
    • Posted

I've had multiple kinds. I find out today the details of this particular one. It feels different than the others. I'm not sure if it's because it's a different type or just larger.

So they denied you the hysterectomy? Im glad to hear that you are fine. Keeping my fingers crossed that my doctor agrees with me.

• Posted

Yes the consultant said no but just as well as everything was clear and I am now pregnant. If I have anymore issues in the future I certainly will be pushing for one. I hope you get some answers soon. You should also look into the genetic testing with your family history.
    • Posted

That's a good idea. I wonder if my insurance would cover genetic testing. I'll ask today.

Btw- CONGRATS ON YOUR PREGNANCY!!!

• Posted

You need to ask for the BRCA gene test. This is the gene which can mean breast or ovarian cancer but not everone with the gene gets it. Depends if it's mutated I believe. If there are several women in your family who have had these cancers you should be able to get it done. Don't know about insurance is I'm in the UK. Worth asking your insurance company though! Best wishes, Ellie UK
  • Posted

I had my ovaries and tubes removed and it was the best decision I have ever made. My weight has gone done, no more bloating and no more surgery due to cyst. I have never felt better. The only negative is the hot flashes at night but those are easier to deal with then all the negatives of keeping my ovaries, good luck to you 
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing! It's encouraging...

Would hormone replacement be necessary if I removed my ovaries?

• Posted

I was 50 when I had the surgery so my dr does not do HRT. I would think that would depend on your age

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.