Convulsions? Not seisures

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am on 100 x 3 gabapentin. A year ago was on 300 x 3 then went up to 400 x 3 and now back down. has been several months at 100. x 3. I want off this drug so bad. Dr said three day tap. I tried that and after 48 hours went into convulsions. Never trust Drs. Do you think it is possible I could never get off drug at this point. I have lost 65 lbs and cannot afford to lose more.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have been fighting Gab. with drawl for two years and was on it 3 years. I use no other drugs so it's not an interaction problem. Tried Lyica with same results. If your very young, 30 or less, for most, its seems easy to get off. It seems it gets harder with age and I am older and for people predisposed. All the direction from the experts (not Doctors) says you must stretch out the taper for a year if necessary. When I started to taper at first, I had 5 fainting/falling spells that last from 5 to 10 seconds. I went from 1400mg to 200mg per day in 5 mos. but now, even 13 mg reduction a day brings on very bad side effects. Tried twice to go down from 200mg and failed. Shortness of breath is the worst with all the other pressure waves and other bad side effects added. I will stay at 200mg for another month, then try another 13mg reduction. Even at 200mg I have the very bad dizzy mornings that last till noon and am always short of breath with any exertion and restless sleep . Have had all the heart,lung and brain test and they found nothing . Presby. Med won't accept the responsibility and they prescribed it for my leg neuropathy. Their answer is "there is someting else going on". They got me hooked on Gab. but have no drug rehabilition capability so they won't take responsibility. The medical community is completely ignorant of the horrific side effects of this drug for a lot of people . There is no magic bullet to get free. Because it is a nerve problem, the side effects vary widely. To taper, order some empty capsules from e bay and make your own dose, ie 25 or 50mg , from the avail. 300 or 100 gab, capsules. I use a smooth hard surface to divide the Gab. with a knife. Dividing the dose to 4 times a day seems to help a little. Good luck and if you have questions let me know. Scott

• Posted

Im on 300mg 3 times a day. Ive only been taking it a week. I missed one dose, and the next day started having full body convulsions. My wife told me to take the Gaba, I did and the convulsions went away after 30-40min after taking it. At the hour point I was back to normal. This drug is scary. Im nervous to keep taking it, like you I'd like to come off it. But I need it at the moment unfortunately 😕

You'll have to do tiny tapers it sounds like. That's what Ive read of others people that have come off it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.