Cooled ThermoTherapy?

Posted , 7 users are following.

"The Urologix® Cooled ThermoTherapy™ System employs High Energy TUMT with an advanced cooling system."

Does anyone here have any experience with this? A urology center near me has this as a treatment option and it appears to be promising with minimal side effects. I have not seen any discussions of this here previously.

"In a confirmation of the results of the 4 randomized, prospective trials comparing Prostiva RF Therapy to TURP, the 2010 AUA BPH Practice Guidelines Committee concluded that: “… based on these reports, the symptom improvement is significant and sustained for both treatments, with somewhat greater improvement in the symptom score for TURP.”

I continue to look for alternative treatment options that have minimal side effects, no hospital stay, little or no pain during or after the treatment, and fast recovery time. So far PAE is the most benign treatment but doesn't work well with median lobe issues. For my PAE I went to the hospital at 7am and was released at 4pm. I never went into total retention or needed a catheter, but results were minimal since I do have some median lobe issues.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I reccomend to make MRI scan and then find right solution for you .

I have had big median lobe and underwent PAE with no effect.

Then FLA in Houston - April 2018 and I'm reborn. Stan

• Posted

Stan,

I am not in a position to pay 25k out of pocket for the FLA and MRI and spend a week in Houston, so that's not a possibility for me. Hope all has worked out for you,

Tom

• Posted

Tom,

I know of several urologists who used to do TUMT but do Rezum now instead. Some also quit doing TURP in favor of doing Rezum. Rezum has less side effects. Rezum works in a similar way as TUMT. It heats the prostate tissues and kills cells which the body eliminates afterward.

Thomas

• Posted

Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. I can barely pee now, so any procedure that heats the prostate and causes weeks of swelling and total retention is not something I am willing to do. So, looks like this TUMT and Rezum fall into that category and are "off the table" for me.

Tom

• Posted

TUMP has been around for 25 years and has been superceded by other methods. This must just be a cooler version. It was the first alternative to TURP before GL PVP came along.

• Posted

Hey Tom

This has been around for a long time. They called it TUMT now they changed the name to Cooled Thermo Therapy. This is still a procedure that uses a microwave antenna to heat and destroy the prostate tissue. It take 30 to 45 minutes in the office under a local. The cooling water is suppose to protect the other tissue and preserves the urethra.

After the procedure the prostate will heal and form scare tissue. It will take time for the body to reabsorb the treated tissue and also takes 6 to 12 weeks to heal. You will have a catheter in for a few days to a week.

It comes with the most of the same side effect as most of the other procedure. Risk and side effects can include blood or blood colts in the urine, painful or difficult urination, rectal irritation, temporary urinary incontinence, brief inability to maintain a erection and retro ejaculation.

Most of the side effect are temporary but some can be permanent. Doctors feel the risk and side effect are worth having the procedure to fix BPH.

Good luck Tom. Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.