copd

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was diagnosed in March 2009 with COPD, My Fev1 is 52% and 62% after ventolin. My Dr told me that its really mild and that by stopping smoking it should not get any worse. This goes against everything I have read online since being diagnosed. I am obsesed with copd at the moment, and have been put on \"happy pills\" every moment of being awake I think copd, I am so scared. I'm only 42 years old. I dont want to die young. I so want to get into my 70s if possible. My Dr tells me that I will providing I never touch another cig again and look after myself. Everything I have read online gives me only 10 - 12years at the most. I dont want to leave this world so soon.

I read that we all lose about 30 ml of lung function each year if we do not smoke, so 52/3 = means I will have a lung function of 22% when I reach 52 years of age. Does anyone know if we do all lose lung function every year, can someone please tell me, if my Dr is right and that there is nothing stopping me reaching 60s or 70s providing I never ever smoke again. Please help me, this is driving me crazy the thought of ending up fighting for breath and dying so young.

Thankyou....[/b]

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My husband is 61 and was diagnosed in 2002. He uses Salbutamol, Cetirizine, Fluticasone Furoate and Seretide. His FEV is 1.20 = 35% and his FUC is 3:16 = 72%. This gives him a FEV/FUC ratio of 38%. In June he had a heart attack so has added medication to deal with.

He is full of life most of the time and can do most everything that I can do. He is on a cardiac rehab programme at the moment and is doing all the exercise as prescribed there.

He will not give in to COPD and is determined to keep active and positive.

I might add that we are practising Christians and firmly believe that God wants him to survive this and live a good life.

What more can I say?

• Posted

I do sympathise with you.  I am now 64 and was diagnosed with restrictive airways disease about 12 years ago.  I have an annual spirometry test and the nurse told me this last time that I have the equivalent lung capacity as a 90 year old female!!  Not a cheerful thing to hear.  However, the deterioration seems to be quite gradual.  It is very frustrating not to be able to walk up hillls or dance anymore though.
  • Posted

Wanted to let you know that my dad was diagnosed in his mid 40's.  Of course he stopped smoking and he is now 78.  Just this year he had to start taking his oxygen all the time.  But he lives by himself and gets along and still drives.  Keep your spirits up and eat healthy, stop smoking and exercise all you can!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.