COPD

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi my name is Jane and I am 43 years of age, since the age of 9 I have been a smoker. Little did I know how it would effect me in the future, I sit and think about how I started to smoke, it was because it was trendy then. Now it's a health hazard, I wish that I had never started to smoke as now I have severe COPD, I can't breath without a machine I can't go on holiday abroad as I can't get insurance as it costs more than the holidays also I have to sit and watch the other mothers and grandmothers have fun with the children as I have not got the energy to move, As I say I am 43 with a life expectancy of only 2 years at the most, please if you are thinking about taking up a habbit that will kill you THINK, It is not a nice thing to go through, I just want to die know as I have no life left but you can save yourself

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane, my heart goes out to you. I was in the late stage of COPD when I got a diagnosis and like you I felt cheated out of my life. I smoked from age 11, I use oxygen and I was in despair - but I have had a re-think.....I read lots of messages on this site and it made me see things in a much more positive light. I decided the disease would not stop me doing what I want to do and set about finding ways to achieve what I want out of what is left of my life. Why can't you enjoy your grandchildren - I do. We like to snuggle up and read a book, watch a cartoon or draw funny animals. I can tell stupid jokes and have all the time in the world to listen to them tell me about their day.

There are lots of holidays to be enjoyed on England, for the sun try Devon and Cornwall, beautiful places, or maybe Centre Parks, guaranteed good weather!! I am a holiday freak and don't let it stop me.

Another point - forget the life expectancy thing. I find when people are given a time span they tend to give up after that time. I was given 6 months - two years ago. Keep smiling girl, show them what you are made of. Don't just give up. Exercise and a positive attitude can extend your life, and enjoying what you have with a smile on your face can give you and your family so much more joy. Dig in there, and we will talk again soon if you want to. smile smile

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I am so sorry you have been diagnosed with COPD. I think we all go through feeling how you are now, but Jacee is quite right. If you can manage just the smallest amount of exercise or movement and try and concentrate on the things you can do instead of what you cannot do, it really helps.

I have to admit to still getting frustrated at not being able to do things. For instance it has taken me all afternoon to tumble dry my duvet cover. As it has to be taken out and given a good shake so the wet parts are on the outside and put back in again. But although the bending has done my breathing in and I have to rest in between, I have a feeling of achievement.

I agree, forget the life expectancy thing.

Love your positive outlook Jacee.

Tessa

• Posted

Hi Tessa, lovely to see your comments.

Listen to this lady Jane, she really helped me when I was despairing, and she is right, the sense of achievement when you do manage something can be very rewarding.

• Posted

Hi Jane, just read about your c.o.p.d. I am in my 15th year now and I must admit things are'nt getting easier. I coped until about 3 years ago but since then so many other medical problems have cropped up i.e..bronchiectasis,diabetes, peripheral vascular disease and now this month atrial fibulation (heart) along with I think 9 other illnesses. I have just come out of hospital for the 2nd time this month with exacerbation and chest infections. They had to send me home because there was an outbreak of Norovirus on the ward and I am too vunnerable. So here I am barely able to move, housebound and cheesed off.When, if ever will life get back to some semblance of normality. Anyway, enough of my problems but if I can last for 15 years when the doctor gave me at the most 2-3 yrs. some six years ago then maybe so can you. I take some 30 tablets perday, four puffers , steroids and nebulisers. D'ont need food, but still need ciggies- what the heck. I have found being positive really helps - don't give up doing anything you can however small it is.Don't give up and don't stop fighting. MY very best wishes. Carole

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.