Copd

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 75 year old female having bouts of dry cough and breathlessness since last 10 years . On cortico steroids. (Inhalers) I never smoked and always took. Good diet. Since last 5-6 years I haven't noticed even lirtle bit of mucus in my cough and doctors say its COPD. 

But every other patient with this disease is a smoker and has wet cough and lots of sputum. I am confused. At present am on furocort and got fungal infection in my mouth as a side effect. My dry cough is very bad now . For last two years I was better.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  Not every sufferer from COPD is or has been a smoker maybe you are just extra sensitive to other forms of pollution like traffic etc.  

Not every COPD sufferer has a cough and some have dry coughs sometimes and none or very little mucus.  We are all different.  

Did you know that COPD has been found in corpses thousands of years old?  It is also very common in 3rd world countries and has been linked to cooking on open fires in their huts.  So it is not just a smokers disease though you have been very unlucky to contract this as a non smoker.  x

• Posted

Thnx Hypercat  for the information ....I was o sereflo inhaler but suddenly stopped giving any relief . Doctor started furocort 200 twice a day. Giving relief but again the dry cough is troubling me which was fine for 2 years of period. But was there before that. 

Also got fungal infection in mouth as aside effect of furocort. But can it be the reason of my cough revival. If you can help...

• Posted

Hello Shikha!  I am a 72 year old female.  As hypercat said, COPD comes in all types of symptoms and "reasons" that we have it.  What you are experiencing with the fungas in your mouth is called "thrush" which you can get with some of the inhalers.  Every time you use your inhaler, rinse your mouth with a mouthwash ie, Listerine or something like it.  Just rinsing with water doesn't do any good.
  • Posted

Thnx sandy ...I will definitely start doing this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.