copd

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a walk pft and she said I was at 50% what does that mean?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Leslie, I believe this is referring to your lung functioning capacity is at 50%, and, according to the COPD stages,  it sounds like you may be in stage 2 also.  If you take care by eating healthy and exercising, etc..you could maintain this for possibly many years...so this has been told to myself previously, and when I first was diagnosed. I believe it is true, but is up to the individual though. 

Re: Stage 2:

At this stage, shortness of breath may feel moderate or severe when exerting oneself. You may or may not have a cough or sputum. Many people first seek medical care at this point because of the symptoms. PFT results are 50-80 percent of the expected response. (healthlinecom, reference).

Please google Pulmonary Function Tests, and also, COPD stages. It is good to educate ourselves fully about this disease. 

Hope this helps! 

BJD

• Posted

Thank you so much
    • Posted

You are welcome Leslie...glad to help you, and if you need any help, please contact us again, we are all here to help each other! xoxo
  • Posted

Morning Leslie42812! Idon't really know but I suspect she means your oxygen levels was you wearing any medical device that checks youur oxygen level or heart rate this might be the answer if not no idea I hope you get to find out some way can you not contact her & ask her what she meant it would be intresting to know?
    • Posted

Hi this couldn't be oxygen levels Karen as Leslie would be dead at 50%!  x

• Posted

hi hypercat!

Well thats me told & thank you for letting me know as I was trying to think what the answer might be I've noticed someone has suggested lung capacity is this the answer!?

• Posted

Well it is not oxygen levels Karen so I can only think it must be your lung function.   Why don't you ring your doctors and check?   x

• Posted

Morning hypercat!

Sorry if I confused you or anyone else I was refering to Leslie42182's question & was trying to help leslie & couldn't think what else it might be but did write saying can leslie not ask the person who's  a she what they mean't it wasn't for me but never mind!x

• Posted

No worries Karen.  It can all get very confusing sometimes can't it?  smile  x
    • Posted

it sure can! would like toask having copd which we have do you suffer any kind of pains in your joint's & limbs? I do and mentioned this to the doctors at our surgery for a long while now & following a burning ras on my lower legs & a really bad pain in my left lower leg when standing on it like it's about to snap I also get a bad pain up & down my right arm but mostly in my elbo in the bone itself was on various medicines 3 of which are the biggest culprits apart from my thyroid medication salbutamol & seretide that I'm on these 3 that are the culprits are amlodipine prednisolon & ciprofloxacin I was taking these all at tha same time was taken of the amlodipine just as afterI finished the steroid & antibiotic & now am back on the amlodipine have the swelling back now but without the burning rash I feel like a walking disasterous chemist do you ever get that feeling?

What I have trouble understanding is how after months & months of pains in joints & limbs & then the snapping feeling recently after having a test done for bone density its come back normal & still I'm the same way but because the tests come back normalI I  must now just put up with the discomfort & pains each day I don't know what else to do as I could go to a next doctor & they look in my notes & most likely tosay well your testcame back normal where doI turn to now what would you advise,if your able too eek !x

• Posted

Leslie the value of 50% that you is a measure of your lung function in comparison to the lung function which would be expected of an individual of your age/gender/height/weight. Having a score of 50% places you in the category of having stage 2 COPD according to guidelines produced by the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) this just helps healthcare professionals to measure the severity of your COPD and be able to treat you most effectively, its not anything you should worry about! I hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.