copd

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI My Mother in law has copd

not sure in wich stage se is but i know that she was in ICU for 6 day on mac ventalater after that they put her in high cear for 2 days and dichards her she is now 2 months and two weeks out of hospital but she has now thrus in her moth using spivara one a day and she has pain in her chest legs and back and then she is swollen feet is there any thing we can help her to make it more easeer for her and the plum that comes out is like blood

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Is she also using a cortisone inhaler, because they can cause thrush if the mouth isn't rinsed thoroughly after each use and don't swallow the rinse water!

I haven't heard of spiriva causing thrush.   I don't understand "Plum" - do you mean phlegm, mucus from the lungs?   If it contains blood this should be checked out.

It sounds as if her COPD is quite advanced:  I think the circulation problems with swollen feet etc are a sign of that but she really needs to discuss all this with her doctor.

• Posted

Hi Jude

she is using some asma meds aswell and sorry its phlegm we did go to the doctor they said its normal for all the sympthoms but do not say in wich stage she is and every time goinmg to the doctor they give the meds and sent home they say there is nothing more they can do for her

• Posted

Maybe you need to ask them the direct question which I pick up you're fearing:  is she in final stage?  Maybe not of course, at any stage fo COPD there's not much doctors can do other than give appropriate medication, but that's the case for most conditions really if you have a think about it.

• Posted

HI

She is goning to a state hospital and sorry to say this but they do not care

what happens the reson for that i say is when she was in hospital the lady nest to her fell out of the bed they did not even come help us pick he up to put her back in bed

• Posted

My GP has said to me there is no more he can do FOR the copd.. But respiratory nurses and the community nuse do come if I get very out of breath, check me over and if necesary phone ambulance for hospital.

At other times I gave the checkup with the consuotant ( yearly ) unless circumstances didtate other wise.

I think you need to ask the consultant or your GPs practice nurse to find out what stage you are.

Tom.

• Posted

HI Tom

you wont belive it i ask them how many times they say it got noting to do with me but they dont tell her what is happeing with her we do use the state hospital as we do not have a medical aid

• Posted

Well now it's sounding like an ordinary everyday privacy issue:  if the patient hasn't given them permission to discuss her medical condition with other people then of course they can't do so.

If she's asking about her own condition and they won't tell her that's a different matter

• Posted

I think that stinks.. Lung disease dosn`t jus affct the patient, it is also pretty disturbing for family..

As I tried to point out ealier, the doctors don`t treat patients on how advanced the disease is, They treat the symptoms of how it affects daily mobility and coping with every day tasks..

You coutage 4 and active, whereas you may be mild and quite disabled...

Push for you mum in-law to get ALL the help she needs to help give her a better qulity of life, and ultimately ease your mind and that of the family..

All the very best to you all.

Tom.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.