Copd

Posted , 10 users are following.

my husband has very severe copd and was in hospital 4 weeks ago with an exacerbation. Since coming home he is unable to do much because of chest tightness. There is no infection.  Is this progression?  Also he had open spots on his legs that don't seem to heal. Has anyone else experienced this?  The last thing is his face breaks out in sort of lumps.  Any help would be appreciated. Can anyone suggest how to help the chest tightness.  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry do not have any answers for you,but  wish you well 
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear this.  You say your husband is very severe so it could well be progression.  Exacerbations can cause further damage to the lungs.  It may be that it is taking him a long time to start to recover from it as obviously his immune system will be very low and he might pick up again a bit soon.

Why not go back and see his doctor?  Or if he is under a consultant go and see them.  I can't hazard a guess at the spots or lumps I'm afraid.  Good luck and let me know how he gets on.  x

• Posted

Definitely go back to your husbands GP and repeat all the symptoms you have done here.  Non healing wounds is typical of diabetes very important to be tested for this and to communicate the symptoms as you have here.  It may be that the hospital has communicated to your husbands doctor already if they tested his blood for this during his hospital stay so a follow up appointment is definitely in order.

The chest tightness may need investigating also.

• Posted

If you are in a place that allows you to purchase pot buy Indica and using coconut oil make pot butter, the pot will relax the smooth muscles in his chest as well as relax him and his chest.  
  • Posted

Oh dear, what a worry for you. I had a exacerbation back in November and I was horrified when I was told it would take at least 12 weeks to get over it. I’m only just feeling better now.

i see you wrote this 5 days ago, so I hope by now your husband has seen a doctor and it feeling a bit better. Let us know.........x

• Posted

Hi Nanny10 - I wanted to find out how your husband was doing after another few weeks. My mom is currently in the hospital with a COPD exacerbation and it is only day three but I feel like her recovery will be very long. She has had COPD for nine years and has never had an exacerbation. I wonder how long it will be before she can get back to her level of a normal routine.
  • Posted

Hi Nanny,

I suffer with severe Emphysema and asthma and have been in resus on numerous occasions due to exasperations.I am sorry to hear your husband has been ill and hopefully he is feeling a bit better,After an exacerbation it takes a while for the lungs to settle back.I have been much the same and I do lung exercises of which the your gp can advise.Pulmonary rehab has helped me immensely.As for the the spots and lumps I get much the same due to a low immune system.Also it may be due to medication.I have been on steroids for 20 years and my skin suffers,but steroid cream has helped me.My advice would be to see your gp as every one is different.For chest tightness I also do breathing exercises which really do help along with drinking fluids.I sincerely hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Porche296,

Can you tell me a little more about your experiences with exacerbations such as how long it takes to get your lungs to settle back to the state they were in before the exacerbation? Assuming you can get back to where you were? What lung exercises do you do and do you find that they improve your condition? As for pulmonary rehab, are you able to go as an ongoing thing or is it only for a short period of time?

Thank you in advance for you time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.