COPD

Posted , 6 users are following.

my husband has just been told that there is no more the hospital can do for him and that his COPD has advanced. he uses a NIV BIPAP machine all nightbut is now being forced to use it during the day because of extreme chest tightness and shortness of breath. the COPD nurse has now prescribed morphine to maybe help with the tight chest. can anyone tell me if there is anything further i can do to help him and what is likely to happen now i.e. does his shortness of breath just get worse?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think that once they're giving morphine for SOB, it's considered palliative care. If I were you, I'd be contacting that nurse immediately with the questions you just asked. Ask explicitly what she sees happening with your husband in the next 1 to 6 months. My limited understanding of the general rule for COPD is that SOB gets worse over time, especially if unable to exercise, even just breathing exercises.

• Posted

Yes I agree with aitarg that this definitely sounds like palliative care. Is he officially getting this? He should have a team around him which is patient centered and aimed only at alleviating his worst symptoms. If he isn't getting this you need to speak to his doctor or consultant. Also there is always something they can do even if it's just more pain relief etc. so never let them write him off. He should also be offered the chance for the odd visit to a hospice as they are brilliant at sorting out meds. It doesn't mean it's the end but it would be a break for him and you.

I think I know what you are asking about his breathing. Now I am on another copd site and have been told on there a few times that what happens when you are nearing the end is that the other organs start to shut down and that you don't pass gasping for breath. It will be peaceful and he won't know anything about it. A nurse on there confirmed this too and said she has seen many go like this and it's always peaceful.

I hope this helps a bit. Don't forget too that while there is life there is hope. Take care and don't forget to look after yourself too. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.