COPD and anti smoking campaign

Posted , 5 users are following.

For years now the government have focused on Cancer as the outcome of smoking. Do you guys living with COPD or with a loved one with COPD feel it should be talked about more, particularly in anti smoking campaigns? 

My Granny cant walk more than two steps without being out of breath, she stays inside all day, shes unable to join in conversation because she cant catch her breath, she cant go on holiday because she requires oxygen. These are just some of her issues and shes had them for years because of COPD - its a long drawn out illness with little or no support and it is terminal.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jade, there is no one size fits all, some will die of heart failure, some will develop cancer, some will end up on oxygen housebound, some will die of old age, with COPD but not because of COPD.  

A lot does depend on individual circumstances, if diagnosis was early, if the patient attended PR and lives by those recommendations able to manage their symptoms better because of it.  If the patient acts quickly with a lung infection to treat it sooner rather than later, if the patient stopped smoking soon after diagnosis, if they carried on smoking, if they exercised regularly after diagnosis and kept it going, if they did not, if they had a good diet, has help at home.

Support is there for people if they are in UK, there is the BLF helpline, there are breathe easy groups for support, some people have good family support others do not, some live alone and cope others do not.  Sooooo many variations on how it can be from patient to patient.

COPD is a progressive disease, but not all COPD patients will end up on oxygen and not all COPD patients will die because of the COPD.

Once a COPD patient has become house bound it is very difficult and when severe, in UK patients can access a care service through social services and also access the community matron through their GP who can visit weekly the patient in their own home, patients can also access the OT community team (also accessed through the GP) 

If you do not live in UK, it may be worth your while to contact the lung foundation in the country the patient is living, the lung foundation generally knows what help and support is available for those people in need, its just a question of esplaining the problem and asking what help and support is available.

Best wishes to you and your Granny

• Posted

I wish there was more emphasis on all the things that can flow from cigarettes, and not just on the package but on tv & in magazines & online. I was willing to take my chances with cancer because nobody in my huge family ever got lung ir any other cancer ,,, until one brother did, after I quit smoking. I don't know if it would've stopped me, but the soundtrack of a cough like mine would've gotten my attention.

• Posted

Hello Jade, I certainly agree, funny thing is, when I was 16, visiting a local G P for some reason, was advised to start sampling as I was a very anxious uptight young lady. Am now 73, and 4th stage Emphysemia, think tobacco companies would not have enough money to pay for all the misery smoking has caused. It is a long insidious disease with no happy ending. It will never happen that tobacco companies are held to account, like all other big institutions get away with murder, literally. Kindest thoughts
  • Posted

Totally agree with you should tell people about copd .I get out of breath going to the toilet, putting my socks on you name it I feel crap most of the time .The only time I am ok is when I am sitting .The government should do more to highlight the dangers of smoking or ban it all together .I am a x smoker have been given up for 10 years now, I am nearly 65 hoping to see 66
    • Posted

Andrew, you sound like me - except that I am female and 71.  I get breathless so easily and no puffers I have been given make any difference at all.  I have been diagnosed with COPD and early stage emphysema (from 25 years' smoking).  Does anything help you at all?

• Posted

The warning on the packet says in big capital letters (here in UK) WARNING SMOKING SERIOUSLY DAMAGES YOUR HEALTH.

Not just COPD - google search toxins in cigarettes, toxins in e cigs, smoking causes, cannibis smoking etc etc all these searches will reveal information.

Generally though a smoker pays no mind to warnings even when they are in big capital letters on the side of the pack they smoke. Its down to the smoker if they ignore these and warnings from their doc.

Not all smokers get any health issues from smoking, non smokers can get COPD and other health issues by passive smoking.

In UK and I am sure in other countries there are recommendations set by the health departments and reported by the government, listed on the gov sites and NHS, Patient UK  for instances covering the recommendations and dangers on smoking, alcohol abuse, cannabis, obesity, diet etc etc its really is down to the individual if they pay mind to it and seek help to curb the habit/s they may be having difficulty with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.