COPD and benefits

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice. I am awaiting a diagnosis and wondered if anyone could tell me about any possible benefits I could receive. I have worked all my life but now I may not be able to continue due to my health

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Matthew,

Depending on the severity of your diagnosis, your Dr. may certify your disability and you can file for Social Security Disability. In addition your State Dept. of Social Services may also offer benefits like Food Stamps (EBT) and/or additional benefits if you are qualified. Your Dr. and your social worker should be able to help you if you qualify. 

Also you could qualify for Medicare as well as Medicaid benefits. I advise you to speak with your social worker as they can help a lot. Good Luck. 

• Posted

Matthew70331. I am a senior so I have Blue Cross and Medicare which pays for nebulizers, or oxygen if needed. If you have insurance they should pay for medications - check with them. If you do not have insurance I do not know. Here is hoping you have a good report and won't need to worry.

• Posted

If Matthew is an American Citizen and can prove his disability, he could receive Social Security Disability benefits, Medicare as well as Medicaid, and depending upon the state other benefits could be available through his states dept.of social services. In addition, he does not have to be any required age. He should discuss all of this with his Dr. and his Social Worker. 

Good Luck Matthew

• Posted

Hi Matthew.

Depends on what country you live in. I notice the previous 2 replies are relevant in USA but not, for instance, in the UK.

• Posted

We cannot give you any advice unless you tell us what country you live in.  Benefits vary greatly depending on where you live.  x
    • Posted

hypercat - that is true...I live in U.S. and have insurance (I pay for) that covers the equipment and doctor care..I do not know where matthew 70331 is from, you might want to contact him
    • Posted

I am not going to pm him or run round after him or anyone.  If he decides to come in and acknowledge his replies then I will try and help further.  x
  • Posted

matthhew70331 if you have been following - depending on the country you are from and insurance benefits or socialized medicine, or in the US social worker that would be the direction.
  • Posted

I think that by now Matthew has probably sorted it out. Don't see the point in anyore replies. Just to reiterate, Matthew posted his question, he's received a few replies to which he hasn't responded. The onus is on the person originally posting the question to come back if he still wants an answer. I don't think people who take the time to try to help should be expected to chase that person.

• Posted

Yes Matthew did begin this discussion, but to boldly tell anyone to stop posting is not your place jackie87522. Why Matthew has yet to reply is his business and does not place a lock on this or any other discussion threads. 

I've already posted my views, but others may still have views that they want to share. I welcome ALL comments that could in even a small way help anyone with COPD to manage their distress. 

• Posted

Once you have your diagnosis, or if you are already signed off sick you have to go through the stages to the point where the employer is no longer paying you a salary.  Assuming you are in the UK you would approach the Benefits Agency.  You will need copies of your sick notes from the doctor.  So keep copies of all of these.

Check with BLF helpline regarding this query.  Search google, British Lung Foundation helpline.

There is a . gov benefits information page which will come up if you google . gov benefits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.