Copd and chest tightness

Posted , 8 users are following.

Can anyone explain why you get excessive phlegm with copd.  Whilst on rescue pack of antibiotics and steroids it is fine. Within a week of stopping the medication excessive phlegm is back causing severe chest tightness on movement.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi nanny,could it be your rescue antibiotics are the wrong ones this time you could have a diff bug. Now I have to submit a sputum sample as my rescue pack doesn't always work . Take care   Julia
  • Posted

Hi Nanny

We sound as if we are both in the same boat !  How true it is I don't know but one doctor told me that the production of excessive sputum is part & parcel of emphysema.

Ho hum.

• Posted

Thank you - respiratory nurse has called and now on ventolin and saline via nebuliser.  It seems copd mixed with asthma is not good.
  • Posted

Hi Nanny

You may need a longer course of antibiotics or as Julia says you may need different type.

I have very severe emphysems and almost never have sputum unless I have a chest infection.

Regards Anne

• Posted

May I suggest that you stop all dairy products from your diet as they make mucus. Especially cheese. I swapped to goats milk and soft goats cheese and it made a tremendous difference to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.