COPD and coughing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone with COPD/Emphysema found there persistant cough dissapeared when they quit smoking.If yes,was it very long afterwards.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it did for me. For a couple of weeks I seemed to cough more as my chest got rid of some of the gunk (I think), now I rarely cough except if I have an infection. 
  • Posted

Like COPD itself, this will vary from person to person depending on many factors.  More info would be helpful for replies:  eg what stage COPD the person is in (lung function percentage from spirometry test);  how long h/she smoked before quitting;  what medication has been prescribed for the COPD?

I had very bad night coughing until my gp prescribed Symbicort, a cortisone inhaler, about a year after I was diagnosed with COPD and I only rarely cough at night now, almost always when I've been in contact with other people's cigarette and/or joint smoke.

• Posted

Hi Brilliard

For me, with COPD, and I can't believe I am saying this, it was the worst thing I did, stop smoking. I have constantly coughing and my chest is very sore. I gave up two months ago. Saying that, I definately will NOT go back to smoking. Sooner or later, I hope, it will cease !!!!

I will always tell people to quit smoking, if they can.

All the best

Kev  (UK)  redface

• Posted

The reason why a lot of smokers feel sicker after they stop is that nicotine is a COUGH SUPPRESSANT.   When we stop, one of the withdrawal symptoms is coughing, which means the lungs are working better than when smoking and all that old muck is starting to move.

If you are coughing so much that your chest is hurting, do you have a cortisone inhaler?  I found that stopped the exhausting night time coughing very quickly.

No Kevin, it was the BEST thing you ever did, not the worst!   And you will feel better soon, I promise:  two months is very early in the process, especially if you smoked for years.

Temporary relief for coughing is a cough lozenge containing menthol followed by an icy cold drink;  alternatively sip a half and half mixture of cider vinegar and good quality organic honey.

If you don't have a cortisone inhaler I'd suggest you talk to your gp ASAP - good luck and hang in there!

• Posted

Sorry Brilliard but for both my ex and myself, the cough continued to worsen. My ex is near the end on oxygen full time for 3 yrs now and finally his cough is much less frequent and perhaps less loud Mine is awful but I don't have much of that dry cough which worsens in bed at night so long as I do my inhalers. Whenever I'm around people and feel a big loud cough coming on, I try to get outside so as not to deafening or terrify anyone ;-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.