Copd? Asthma?

Posted , 4 users are following.

i smoked 2-3 fags a day, maybe a few more, (used to sneak a few outta my dads pack)  

I started smoking around 15-14 

a lad lad asked me to keep his weed and cigs in my pocket while they searched him. So. I did. Then he offered me a cig. I took it. Wanted to smoke. Here I am. I didn't even know what copd, cancer, was, or what smoking actually did to the body. I just thought I'd look cool. 

im off for a asthma test, and hopefully a copd check up.

Ive been getting tight chests, and I've been eating honey like I saw in a video, and it'd make me cough up a lot of mucus and tar. Now, I quit four month ago. Kinda Chit when I started, last month or around that, cause I red about cold turkey is bad, and slowly quitting down is best. Nope. I've also got a sore throat today. (Caught it off my mum) and, it makes my chest even worse.  

Now, today I ain't had a smoke, and recently removed some mold. Was there when i was smoking,  also. 

i heard copd can be caused by mold also, can smoking and mold 

have speeded up copd or anything like that if anything has happened.?

i kinda have had one time when it takes a lot of strength to even take a deep breath. (Breathing problems, have been going on for a few months,) 

my advice to you, if you smoke, you'll be doing the same thing I'm doing. Me will even lead to cancer and copd. Or worser, copd, cancer, and asthma.

im also 18!! 19 on 26th! April 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rhys

I'm right there with you on the cheating part, as in, don't do it. The first time I quit for 4.years. Then family came to visit and we went out on the patio of a TexMex place. 5 hours later I bummed 1 cigs - and smoked for another 4 years. At the end I was smoking so little, just 4 or 5 per day, that all gums, patches, lozenges and prescriptions had too much nicotine. So I've come to think that when smoking so little, cold turkey may be the only way. (Of course I had many decades of pack-a-day habit.) I just passed the 7 year mark since my last smoke and I have to be careful watching some shows/movies with lots of smoking because I enjoyed it so much that watching folks onscreen makes me want to smoke. Smoke itself doesn't as I never quit thinking it smelled bad -- on other people, not me, lol.

I hope that stopping smoking will help your lungs. Did a doctor or nurse tell you you might have cancer?

There are a lot of us on here with COPD and emphysema, and some of us still struggle to quit cigs.

Sending you all sorts of healing thoughts. Let us know what the tests show.

Aitarg

• Posted

Congrats on 7 years without a smoke . I've not had one yesterday, and not one today. And no, I've got to wait to see her, I've also just caught a sore throat coughing up mucus and blood etc, but if I have cancer. Hopefully I've caught it early. Amd

is treatable...do you have copd? If so, what's it like? I heard you can't breath properly 24/7 and it's even difficult to even take a breath. Ive most likely got asthma or bronchitis. (Or both) But even if I do, nothing will stop me I suppose. Life has bumps and you can get one.

hope you reply soon. 👍

• Posted

Rhys, it's human nature for us all to assume the worst about new afflictions. For me, it is not a good thing if I keep telling myself every day that I have a terrible disease such as cancer when I have no evidence or proof of having that. Some people believe that we can cause illness in our bodies by concentrating on negative things. . I don't know about that, but I sure hate to see someone so young convince himself that he's got cancer or COPD without having any medical tests.

It sounds like you need to either.try out some cough suppressants or go see a doc immediately. You mentioned having followed some internet honey regimen. While there are many wonderful things onthe internet - this site being one of them - if you're coughing up blood it is time to close the laptop, put your phone in your pocket and go see a nurse or doc today.

Let us know what happens.

• Posted

OK thanks. Doctors are moving appointment from Thursday, to today if they can they said.
  • Posted

Hi it would be very unusual for you to be diagnolsed with copd at the age of 18!  It does happen but the normal age is around mid 40's to 60's.   It's usually either smokers who have been smoking for many years or someone who works in certain industries and have been for a long time ie textiles,  building work with asbestosis etc. 

You can be diagnosed with asthma at any age and of course it is possible to have another lung problem.    I think all smokers these days know the risks but unfortunately they weren't so well known many years ago when most of us took up smoking.  

It's good you are determined to be healthy but please don't worry so much as anxiety can also cause breathing issues.  x

• Posted

Thanks. I'm hoping not to have any, but if I have it, I'll have to suck it up. I'll still carry on in life. (Old saying, it's just a bump on the road.) Did you ever smoke in your life.? 
    • Posted

I think you might have health anxiety!   I certainly never gave a thought to dying until I was well into my 30's.   Live your life without worrying so much and enjoy it. x
    • Posted

Thanks, I will. Have you ever smoked in your life? 

Ive not had a smoke in 1 day and a half. 

• Posted

Yes I have smoked all my life so know what I'm talking about.  x
    • Posted

Dam. Sorry to hear that. Have you got copd? Or was you lucky like my nana and haven't go it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.