COPD AT 50

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am a 50 year old married man and have been smoking for the past 35 years, in the past 4 years i noticed that i was getting shortnes of breath but never to much notic and but it down to smoking and getting older, then this last year i felt even more shortness of breath, so i went to my GP who sent me of to hospital for some test, i do suffer with angina and ashma. anyway this Monday 06/10/2014 i went to see a consultant who done a Spirometry test, results 40%, she told me what that ment etc, i broke down in tears. she then had blood taken from me to be honest i can't remember why she had blood taken from me as i was just to upset at the time and did not take much info in at the time, she also wants me to have chest xray, echo sounds, etc. and will be sending me letters in the post with in the next 2 weeks.  i know the damage is done and i can't reverse that, but i have thrown the fags in the bin and havant had one since, and will not be having one ever again. at the moment i don't know what to do just to upset and scared. i had to retire from work 12 moths ago becasue of other problems that i had with my hip and knee, and plus i was having bad angina attacks last year. i read thing on the net about diff stages of COPD and from what i am reading i am at stage 2.  what I would like to ask others will I die at a young age if I turn my life around or is that it and just have to wait until things get worse and worse over the few months or few years, I don't know

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think the blood taken will be to rule out alpha one antitrypsin deficiency noticed your in USA, which is good news as there is lots of awareness of alpha over there, same cannot be said of UK where I am, your young enough for the test alert, I hope they tested you , if not ask them to...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.