COPD & CORONAVIRUS

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone, just a bit confused re government letter being sent out to U.K citizens in the high risk category.

I haven't received a letter as yet, I have moderate COPD, so wondering if that would come under "at risk" and not high.

Have any of you received this letter?

Many thanks!

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi Susan. I received my letter last Tuesday and also get a text at least once a day from NHS. I'm not sure whether you would be in this group as you say you have moderate COPD. Those in this group are, as the letter says, are at risk of severe illness if they contract this awful virus so I guess ,in a way, you are fortunate that you haven't received one. If ,however you do get a letter in the next few days, this will give you details of how to get extra help, ie with shopping, medicine delivery and food parcels containing everything you need to get by for the duration of your isolation. Also, the list has been sent to supermarkets who are prioritising deliveries for us. This, of course, is available to those of us who dont have family or friends nearby. . My COPD was not discovered to be severe on spirometry but on CT scan. Just mentioning this because someone else who has replied has said that FEV below 50 is what qualifies you. I have no idea what my FEV is but was told by my hospital consultant that it is my CT scan that suggests severe rather than spiro results.

I wish you all the best and I hope you are managing alright through this.

• Edited

Hi Susan 46141,

I agree with some of the comments made here, that you are fortunate if you do not receive such a letter as the one being discussed here.

This is not to lessen the seriousness of your health condition, it is praise of you at being able to avoid the steps some have to take in order to try and avoid the virus. Believe me, it is no picnic to live in a house with other people, but not be allowed to sit with them as normal. So many preparations are required, and so much has to happen, while avoiding all contact with everyone else. Having to phone family who are sitting together, just to have a conversation is a strange feeling when those family members are in the next room. Another factor ' could ' be taken from this information, and that equals more chance of survival, and Life. None of us has any real guarantees of anything at this moment in time but surely your odds are better than some, for surviving it. That has to be a good thing to hear.

You would still need to be very careful, as you are at risk, and it could make you very poorly. You'll still need to be vigilant about everything involved, as we have all been hearing in the last few weeks. Concentrate on what is best for you in the long term, please, as your life is far more important, than a letter in the post .

Take care of yourself.

Georgy0

• Edited

Consider this if you will.

From Prisons to #10 Downing Street, from Cruise Ships to Naval Ships, from a Chinese factory worker to Prince Charles, this COVID-19 virus shows no partiality. It has no respect for boarders, age, or sex. The best way to fight back is to limit/stop it from spreading. Social distancing/isolation is currently our best weapon in this fight. Until medical research can find a way to prevent or cure this virus all must endure a short time in isolation to protect ourselves as well as those in our communities.

While we are being socially responsible, I encourage the following:

Create Art, paint or sculpt or do whatever your talented at.

Wright, if your talented wright a play or poetry or even a book.

Wright Music, create during this time of sadness music to lift our hearts.

Out of shape? Work to get in better physical condition.

Read, you now may have the time read what you have been putting off for years.

Clean out your closets/storage areas.

Paint/maintain your property.

Plant a vegetable garden.

Clean your car/truck.

Make good use of this time and you'll find that you won't feel so separated. Of course al things dependent upon our physical abilities.

All the Best

• Edited

Hi Larry 49o33

As you rightly explained, the US and the UK are getting messages across to people in completely different ways.

As an example, you wrote that washing the car could keep you occupied, whereas I cannot come into contact with anyone, not even my Husband. I am not allowed to leave the house, not even to be outside in my garden, when the weather is favourable. I cannot eat with my family, and have to keep my utensils/crockery completely separate from everyone else. When I am in the kitchen, the family must not come in. I had to pack a small bag, for the eventuality of hospital treatment being necessary, which obviously I hope won't be. My FEV is not the main issue, either. It is not a good result, it is below 50% but the main factor is I also have Other immunity conditions that do affect me badly, under normal everyday circumstances. Hence I received the letter which explains much more on a private/personal level, and the other people who have received individualised letters, do so accordingly with their personal circumstances, too.

If I lived alone, then shopping or collecting medicines, would not be possible so Help would be needed and if there wasn't anyone nearby who I could ask to collect them, I could then contact a Help number, and a volunteer would do this for me. If everyone received the letter, how many volunteers would be required? Can you see what I am trying to say?Anyone who is not able to get their own food or medicine, can & should also use the Help Line for a volunteer service.

I realise this might be seen as 'preferential treatment' being given to those in a severe category, and pigeon-holing people is not the best way of dealing with this particular situation. However, for some of us it is necessary to receive such a letter, due to the personal content included to tell us exactly what we needed to do. It would be very unlikely for any of us to survive, if the virus got a hold, so it was important for us to be told of this, to clarify the situation and be prepared.

I wish it had not been necessary for me to receive this letter, and I would much prefer to be one of those people who can go and wash my car. However, I must not step outside of my property under any circumstances.

You did say the US and the UK are dealing with this matter in different ways. If Mr. Trump had decided you should receive letters, I would expect you to be more sympathetic towards those who did not, and help with explaining the contents of the letter to anyone who asked. This is what I have tried to do, with Susan who had asked if anyone had received a letter. The actual letter itself is not the significant topic, but the contents within, are. That can be shared with those who ask, with the exception of some parts of a more personal nature. I am not the enemy here, the Virus is, and I am willing to share with anyone who asks, how the contents of the letter might be better understood on an individual basis. Mr. Johnson decided to do this, because of the way in which the virus could take us more quickly, than those who might be stronger and stand a better chance of survival if they got it.

Any Age Group is susceptible, not just the elderly or more vulnerable. Anyone can get it, and receiving the letter does not guarantee the virus will get us, just the survival chances are less if we do.

Additionally, I would dearly love to have a capacity of 72%, and you should feel Proud of that. Keep yourself safe, in any way that you can. Just as I am trying to do here. Please do not judge me to be proud of having received a letter from our NHS, but please allow me to enlighten anyone who asks about it's contents because I wish to help those who ask, to stay safe, too.

My dearest wish is for Everyone to overcome this virus, not just select groups. That would be exceptionally cruel of me, and that word does not match my personality, in any shape or form. It is hurtful that you or anyone would assume this to be the case, when the opposite is the truth.

Georgy0

• Posted

If your age or preexisting medical condition precludes you from outside activities, that I can well understand. Extra care is certainly in order, but not being allowed to step onto your front/back porch to get some fresh air is not reasonable. As long as no surface contact is made, then a walk in your own back yard seems fairly harmless.

Yes stay home and use good sense, but must you walk into a furnace because some government official says to. Has the UK declared Martial Law.

Respect the social policies that apply to all in this Pandemic, but you can still enjoy those things that don't apply in this crisis. Clean the house and wash your hands often. Opening a window for some fresh air should not harm anyone.

All the Best

• Edited

Georgy0. ..I hope now that people from outside the UK understand now what it means to be in the vulnerable group that Susan is referring to in the UK. I too am in that group and have received 'that letter' to which she is referring to in her question.

You have written this so well and explained exactly what the letter says and more to the point what it means

that I'm sure it will not leave Susan in any doubt that her question has been answered in full.

It is obvious that different countries are giving different advice but we as extremely vulnerable citizens in the UK should continue to take the advice of our government. Other people too have serious conditions, no one is doubting that but as you point out there is a group of us (only 1.5 million in the whole country) who are deemed to be at significantly higher risk than most. Others, if they are vulnerable can still ask for help but are not so restricted. And that's how it is in the UK.

Best wishes and stay well to everyone on this site, whatever they're situation or nationality.

• Posted

-Hi Larry 49o33, In response to your message, it is purely my pre-existing health conditions that did entitle me to receive such strong advice. My age is not a factor in this matter, since I was young at first diagnosis and have rapidly deteriorated, following other conditions affecting me simultaneously.Therefore, I am much younger than others with this level of severity of COPD/Lung disease.

The personalised letter details the strict instructions, probably based on the possibility I might ignore some rules and pick n choose which ones I do follow, or not. I do sit by an open window most of the day as the weather has been fairly favourable currently. I should sleep apart from my Husband, but do not choose to do that, particularly as I often stop breathing altogether during sleep. I am also aware of my Husband if he is unwell during sleep, and it's automatic for both of us to wake up when the other is not well, like a 6th sense. The Rules make it more likely to break them, than follow them, to be perfectly honest with you.I do follow the most sensible ways of protecting my health , just as I would expect Everyone else to do that, if they have a condition likely to worsen or kill them, as this virus does

Taking things to the extreme is more likely to entice the bug to find out what it's missing!!! In my view, like a child who is never allowed to get dirty they would always be the first to catch all contagious illness.

I do sincerely wish you all the best, and hope you manage to stay safe and stay as well as possible.

• Posted

I understand that the UK does things differently from the USA or Japan or Australia. However if just you and your trusted household enter/exit a restricted area like your backyard, I see it as an extension of the indoor area. Wear a mask and gloves if that makes you feel more comfortable.

I don't advocate attending church or shopping centers or even stepping next door to your next door neighbors. Yet with care and good sense you don't have to be dumb about this crisis either. If you feel that a few minutes sitting on your front porch or a short walk in your back yard poses a danger then don't. Also if you need the government to tell you that you qualify as more "at risk" then others, you were too isolated before this virus began it's rampage months ago. In my opinion there are NO EXCEPTIONS due to youth or perceived good health. Covid-19 is aggressively spreading and it is not stopping to ask if you are at risk or not.

My point is that being safe does not have to be locked up tight inside 24/7 for the next few months. It is ok to wave at your neighbor on their porch steps from your porch steps. Be safe, but let's not fall into mental depression to say we did as we were told.

All the Best

• Edited

Hi Jackie87522,

Thank You Jackie for your supportive words and understanding of my explanations.

I guess if you come from a different country, and hear what is happening to people in a country where things are being done differently, it is probably quite confusing and complex to understand. A snap-shot doesn't truly give the full picture.

It was actually quite difficult for me to explain to people from other countries, what I was meaning when I tried to explain a very simple letter. It was taken to be something huge and magnificent, like an Olympic Gold Medal, rather than for it's true meaning. It was very unfortunate to be assumed as a big-deal, when it really, really is Not.Finally, I think it was understood. I did appreciate your comments/message in support of that. Thank You.

Please Keep Safe, Keep Indoors & Keep Well.

Best Wishes,

Georgy0

• Edited

I got mine a week ago plus phone calls regarding deliveries and assistance. However my COPD is quite severe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.