Copd cough phlegm

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi does anyone cough up a creamy white /yellow phlegm not sure if I have just a cold or another chest infection help leasesorry to be so graphic about this

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi dilys83010,

This has been normal for me most of my life. I had childhood asthma which eventually developed into COPD even though I stopped smoking over 40 years ago. I use a "traffic light" system and monitor the colour of the phlegm. I can also feel any change in its consistency. If I notice anything wrong and start to feel breathless I take my blue inhaler (Salbutamol) 4 times a day for 2 days. If there is no improvement I then take my standby medication (doxycycline and prednisolone) to take care of any infection. All of this is overseen by my COPD nurse who I have known for over 10 years and it works very well for me. I'm in the UK and the system is recommended by the NHS. If you are in the UK I'm sure your GP can arrange something similar. You can find info by searching the internet for 'nhs copd traffic light form'.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hello Dilys,

I have COPD and also battle the mucus monster. I have also been fighting a lower bowl infection sense August. The Vancomycin that I've been taking for the infection has also served to lessen the aid me with the mucus battle, but it's not a 100% victory. I still have my 1 to 1 1/2 hours coughing, hacking, and expectorating. Mucinex, the over the counter med., is my fall back position. I will be using all on Christmas to help me survive the day without "putting on a show".

This color method is new to me, but the thickness of the mucus is familiar. I have a PFT test coming up soon and I will have much to discuss with my Pulmonary Dr. . My current worst problem is running out of my rescue inhaler and the Insurance will not pay to issue another before their scheduled time line. As a result, I must wait 4 to 5 days before that med is authorized for issue.

Here's wishing you and all else a most Happy Holiday Season.

Larry

• Posted

other than COPD is there any other lung disease that you've been diagnosed with? One illness that produces a lot of phlegm is called bronchiectasis . it also causes a lot of infection in the lungs.

• Posted

Hi amkoffee,

As far as I'm aware it takes a CT scan to diagnose bronchiectasis. I've had numerous chest X-rays over the years for chest infections etc but it took a CT scan for some other problem to incidentally diagnose bronchiectasis for me. I have always thought that COPD and bronchiectasis were associated but maybe I'm wrong. As I've mentioned above I'm still being treated for COPD even though my GP is aware I also have bronchiectasis.

• Posted

Keep an eye on it dilys

It could be the start of an infection. Certainly if the coloure changes again to more yellow and green I would start your emergency pack.

• Posted

I don't think that just having bronchiectasis will give you a diagnosis of COPD. I think that COPD comes around when you have numerous respiratory issues or one issue that has gotten extremely bad. I could very well be wrong about that though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.