COPD flare up

Posted , 4 users are following.

It's taken 12 months to get a COPD diagnosis and I'm new to the condition. I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen today, I feel funny headed and have pain in my shoulders, I have a once daily spirits capsules and a blue salamol reliever, when do you know you need further medical assistance, and how many times a day can I use my reliever? I'm a 47 year old female and stopped smoking 2 years ago. Thanks

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

We are leaving Beijing very soon. Probably before Summer though I would have hoped to let our daughters finish the year out here. The air has actually been amazing the last 4 days though it is just a matter of time before it rises. I usually stay in the house on bad pollution days and turn on air purifiers or if I have to get out, put on my mask and only do the neccessary things until air quality is better. The Dr finally admitted that the disease will progress which was a bit annoying. The story has gone from (two seperate Drs) this is repairable to this will not progress to OK.. yep will progress but much less now that you stopped smoking! What is so frustrating isnt knowing but having to drag information out of my Drs. I can only imagine giving bad news to a patient is no fun and down right difficult. However, my head was spinning with the different answers and the false hope. It only increased my fears and depression. Now after three months Im coming to grips with it. Now my husband has lost his job so when it rains it pours. Started my own PR today. Been working out everyday in the gym and eating all kinds of fruits and vegts I would rather not ever eat as well as going on 3 months not smoking. Thanks for your support. 
    • Posted

That's very good news that you're able to move to somewhere with less pollution.  I can't understand why any doctor would not tell you that COPD is progressive:  the issue is whether it will progress quickly or slowly and most of that is up to you.

Good on you for stopping smoking!  I know from personal experience that it's not easy but then neither is dying sooner than you otherwise would.   I'm glad I love my fruit and vegies and I can assure you that after a while you won't miss the smokes.

Hang in there and good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.