COPD getting worse

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I have copd, not really sure how bad it is.

about 3 weeks ago I started to feel. unsteady when i got up from sitting, as if i was going to fall over. I ignored this and carried on. About 3 days later I could feel a cold coming on, then 2 days later I thought it had gone. one minute I was on my computer, the next thing I knew I was being woke up by a nurse in hospital 2 days later. I asked if I had been unconscious and she said no I had been fine. I can't remember a thing. Apparently I had bronchial pumonia. 10 days on antibiotics I was sent home. Now my breathing is ridiculous I'm gasping for air after getting up and getting a brew.

Any ideas please

Heartbleed.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I've had pneumonia myself in the past and I know that there is nothing better to take than the antibiotics. However they soon run out.

Here in the USA I can purchase a non-prescription cold medicine called Mucinex. For me it dries up the mucus that my Bronchitis brings on. I'm informed that Costco caries a generic form called Guaifenesin.

Gargle with warm salt water.

Drink fluids. Fruit juices like Orange or Grape juice help me.

Get medical assistance without delay if you feel you need it. Don't gamble with your life.

Best of Luck

• Posted

You may have bronchiectasis . the pneumonia could have started it . If you have not yet I would urge you to get a CT. A CT is needed to do a diagnoses.

• Posted

Thank you both for your replies. I shall try the fruit drinks. While I was in hospital I had x-rays, CT scan and blood tests, all were normal.

Regards, Heartbleed.

• Posted

I had pneumonia over 3 years ago and was told it could take up to 12 weeks or longer to recover from it and that was about right Just thought I would mention in case you have maybe not fully over it yetRegards James

• Posted

Dont want to upset you but did they check your heart while you were in there? It sounds like you may have fluid or swelling and it could be your heart may not be getting enough oxygen to pump it off of you ....which can be the shortness of breath. It sounds like you clearly still have fluid in your lungs anyway. Just a thought...

Ladyjack56

• Posted

Most medical professionals routinely listen to their patients hearts. While it is a good thing to be through, however placing another in fear is not cool. Having your heart listened to by a medical professional is always recommended, but let us leave the diagnosis to the trained people that fully know their subject.

Your post upset me and I know that my heart is in very good condition.

• Posted

I think you came down a little hard on ladyjack. I think he / she was only trying to be helpful with suggestions. I don't think he/she meant to give you a diagnosis. and yes I agree that all doctors listen to your chest and your heart every time you see one. Do you know how many doctors listen to my heart before one mentioned they heard a murmur. obviously murmurs are not a serious concern but it wasn't until I asked future doctors to listen for it that they started hearing it. I've never had a whole lot of faith when a doctor listens to my lungs either since I've had chest infections when they said my lungs sounded clear. in fact my GP and my pulmonologist both said that my lungs sounded clear and that my congestion was nothing more than allergies. And within 2 months I was diagnosed with bronchiectasis.

• Posted

Wow, the first thing I said was I'm not wanting to upset you but....geez what if I said "sounds like cancer..." that would be a diagnosis, I didn't diagnose anything. If you are sensitive about the questions you ask then you shouldn't be on here because we all speak from a place of experience because we HAVE the disease and definitely respect each other. Here's a newsflash...your heart is very much a part of your pulmonary issues because it takes oxygen to be pumping correctly so you are blessed. Pneumonia is not COPD . Watch what you ask on a public forum if you cant take the answer. I only made a suggestion.

Ladyjack51

• Posted

Thanks for defending my post to Larry. I have replied. I wanted to say I developed a murmer too and no one told me either. Apparently it is fairly common for COPD patients to get one but I also have CHF which means my heart is weaker anyway so I'm a mess! Lol thanks again

Ladyjack51

• Posted

This happened to my husband about 3 mths ago he has copd he got up in the night to go to the bathroom and he passed out cut all hes head open when I got him up he passed out again dont know cause going to hospital in April because ECG was not right

• Posted

There Is A Thing While You Are Sitting Down Called Purse Lip Breathing. Sit Down Breath In Your Nose Then Breath Out Your Mouth. If You Have Copd You Need To See A DR. Take A Pomalary Test And That Will Tell You How Bad Your Copd Is I Have Stage 4 The Best Thing I Do Is Take My Meds And Walk Walk Walk. I Have Gotten Better By Doing This. Hope You Get Better You Are Not Alone. Try To Stay Calm.

• Posted

hi, sorry you are feeling breathless. you should book to have a spiromitry test with your doctor and that way you would be better aware of the problem you have and be treated properly. all the best.

• Edited

Hi Everybody.

I am so VERY sorry I have not replied sooner, it has been a rough ride.

As I said previously, I was discharged from hospital after a 10 day course of antibiotics, I thought that was the end of it all. Nothing could of been further from the truth.

4 days after my discharge I was sat at my kitchen table, I decided to make a brew. Now my kettle and sink is about 8 or 9 feet away, I got to the kettle and was gasping for breath again, this was getting a nightmare, I put up with it for about 4 or 5 days but then I just collapsed on the floor and simply could not get back up. Ambulance took me to A&E. I was in Hospital for another 10 weeks being treated for bronchial pneumonia , upon discharge I was taken home by ambulance, I knew something was not quite right as the parademic kept asking if I felt ok. When I got home the guy came in the house with me, I sat on my settee, after 3 or 4 minutes the ambulance guy said "can you stand up?" I simply couldn't, with this the guy bundled me back into the ambulance and took me back to hospital. Where they discovered, as one of you mentioned, my lungs were full of water. I was put on a Furosimide drip and remained in hospital for 18 weeks. They managed to get

18 Litres of water out of me. Thats 2st 8pound. They also discovered I had heart problems, (I had a heart attack in 2007) but now I had AF, and 2 tiny blocked arteries that were too small to stent, The consultant would not operate as I had COPD, he said it was too risky.

They decided I needed a pacemaker, that was last June, I'm still waiting. Although they have managed to cure my AF with medication. I live on my own now as I discovered my loving wife of 38 years was cheating on me so I threw her out. She only visited me once in the 18 weeks I was in hospital, and that was only because the ward sister had phoned her and played hell with her for not bringing me any clothes. My two kid's who are 35 and 32 respectively were and still are brilliant.

Thank you all for your comments and support.

Regards Heartbleed

• Posted

Medical tests and medicines aside, you would have to be very cautious about your environment. make sure that you monitor the air quality on apps like IQair or climacell. You can also consider installing a air purifier or a humidifier inside your house, depending on your surrounding environment. Air purifier is useful if the air quality is bad in your area, and humidifier helps if the area is too dry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.