COPD +heart problems + hyperthyroidism - which medicine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

Can somebody give me an advice:  My mother is 78 years old, has heart  arrhythmia/coronary artery disease and hyperthyroidism. Since a few months, she has dyspnea and chest pain after smallest load, a few times per week. In the pneumology department of a hospital, they assumed  lungs department has determined emphysema and assumed  COPD.

At the hospital,  she received Ipratropium bromide and Clexane syringes. After that, she  felt pretty good, no more chest pain, good breathing feeling.  But later, a doctor prescribed her Brimica Genuair  (not Ipratropium bromide). I saw in recent publications that both Brimica Genuair and ipratropium can have negative effect on patients with heart problems.

What is your opinion - can she take Brimica Genuair? Or Ipratropium bromide? Or should we rather use other medicines or therapis, like oxygen therapies?

Thank you in advance

Leo

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Personally I wouldn't take it with what your Mother has going on, however, I would definitely check with your doctor and she what her/his opinion is.  Always amazes

me that doctors prescribe meds. for people that have a condition which could be made much worse by taking the med. they have prescribed.  We need to do our due diligence and read the info. pamphlets, research the drug, etc. 

• Posted

Thank you, Terri. But what should she take? If both Brimica Genuair and Ipratropium are bad for heart, and she has dyspnea every time when she enters a shop - what should she do?
    • Posted

I have no idea not being a doctor.  Talk to her docotor, best place to get advice on an issue like this.  Good luck. 
  • Posted

Does the doctor who prescribed these medications know about her heart condition?   The best thing would be to talk to him or her 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.