COPD - Oxygen

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi 

My mum passed away in December with COPD I have recently learned that the hospital had been giving her too much oxygen whilst in hospital and it caused complications, at home she was on 2lt but the machine in the hospital was delivering 19lt she had a full mask on in the hospital because her condition had deteriorated what effect would the 19lt have on her condition as I am struggling to get my head around this all and need answers to move on.

thanks

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply I really appreciate you taking the time to respond would I be right in saying that 19lt oxygen on full face mask was too much I believe it caused her to deteriorate and this amount was given accidentally as it should of only been 2lt that she was prescribed.

Regards

• Posted

i cant use the full face mask has i have a phobia with them so mine is always nasal tube  and i was on 2 even tho my oxygen reading wouldnt go past 90 

• Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

Your maybe right I need to let go and get on with my life I can't change the outcome mum wasn't well

Thanks

• Posted

Evening Ela! About to say & you çan wind me up further if you wish! Am sorry to see you suffering its not nice to see anyone suffering, wish I could wave a magic want & make this worried disease go away I know we all would! Am worried how my children will cope when Im gone I know I still have a fair way to go yet I'm at stále 2 but then have have other health conditions as well do it may progress thë copd especially with repeated infections any way I don't babble on longer so will get straight to thë point how low would someone oxygen have to be or continue go stay low before being put on oxygen? Mine sg thë lowest was 78 at oné point when not feeling very well but ustálily it is between 94 down to to 90 then goes up to 95 & from 94 & down only sometimes its normal at 98 or 99 but not often I asked thë doctor but its like Ive not been heard! I know Im not alone here & I apologise for writing so long am not good at short sentences! Godbless you & family!
    • Posted

Wave a magic wand its meant to read! Just correcting my mistake & dont want to babble on along & thë lowest oxygen readings was at 78!? I think from now on using an android phone to reply to anyone is not such a great idea will use thë laptop in future! Sorry everyoné!
    • Posted

Morning Sogs! Am Sorry about your Mum washing too soon thats not good! Hospital is seriously a scary place to be these days it scares me alot am trying not to end up there but my health isn't getting better its oné thing after another for Months now its inevitable Im going to end up there & something my children & I will have to face when the time comes! Bless you!
    • Posted

hi Karen my lowest oxygen level was 76/78 and highest 92 and im level 3 just been diagnosed like you have other health issues which dont help but with family and friends im coping much better than on my own my children already have been fore warned about the possibilities and my partner is also up on it so that takes a worry from me but yes i do worry a lot so stay strong and if need need be chat to us all on here
    • Posted

Afternoon jackie25605! That's Good to know that you have the support you need, as it's rotten disease too live with it's like a long slow life sentence I've nnever been sentenced as in prison but thinking about this disease & what we have to endure that is what it's like where as cancer in some cases can be cured depending on how long someone has had it & what type of cancer it is as I'm aware cancer is sometimes not curable! have you seen these adds on line popiing up sometimes about a cure for our disease copd? It so angers me because when you read into it the small print will often warn us that this is not a cure as with the salt caves thats not always suitable for some people depending on other health condtions they have I've also seen claims that it cures people but if that's the case I think we all would know about it by now as the goverment whoever it is in parliment would make sure we can get the cure so we can work as they allready force people back to work by cutting their measly benefit or living expenses as I'd call it, to force them back to work where the person is too ill or disabled' or force them to become so ill that they lose their life I find this shocking & it's worrying! And Thank you very much for your information on palliative care I shall look into this as it's not come to my mind before & I don't get much help at home I dowhat I can when it comes to cleaning round the home but one of  my daughters helps out sometimes to cook dinner which helps if I could get a cleaner in atleast twice a week I would but somee off these services can be quite expensive & my daughter works long hours sometimes & then she's tired which I understand! I feel like a burden at times! I'm so glad I found this forum with caring people!

I'm on my laptop now & don't want to be using my android mobile phone to send messages as the predictive messaging is down right dangerous it can get someone in trouble if that person hasn't noticed the mistake written before it's sent to someone! Well enjoy the rest of your day & everyone else on here, I will be back online soon!x       

• Posted

Evening jackie25605  Just to let you know I have looked up palliative care and it's very intresting I'm going to be looking into this type of care and once againThank you for your information and help!
    • Posted

your very welcome like i said we are all here to help each other so dont be afraid to ak for advice or just to chat
    • Posted

evening jackie25605! I just wandered if  you ever get pains in your limbs & joint's as if some of your bones feel as if they could snap at any time since before or after finding out that you have copd? I've had mild pains a while before I found out I have copd but they got a little worse since starting on inhalers first symbicort it didn't suit me caused swollen throat even after cleaning teeth & rinsing then fostair & salmeterol and now am on seretide plus salbutamol. I've have getting repeated infections & taking prednisolon am on thyroxine since a baby for hypothyroidisim & on amlodipine for hypertension I mentioned the pains to our GP & had a blood test done for bone density which came back clear I found out later that my thyroid levels had gone down well thats strange beause I take them all the time rarely missing any doses the doc said sometimes low thyroid can cause bone pain! well it never has in the past when its been low which was a good few years now about 8 yrs now if I remember rightly.So something is causing my thyroid levels to drop,I don't smoke anymore almostseven years now & very rarely touch alcohole I'm not keen on it! So I'd like to know what type of bone disorders don'tshow up in blood tests surely there must be some other kinds of tests to be done I caan't pretend I'm not in pain & put up with it I'l be crippled soon! 

So something isn't right I got these pains when my thyroid levels were normal  so I know it'snothing todowith the thyroid levels being low & also the thyroid level has started to mess up since being on medication for copd & have a check once a year for my thyroid levels I will soon be able to open my very own pharmacy at this rate! I'd love to hear from you & anyone else suffering from pains in limbs & joints & other health conditions related to this dreaded disease!?  

• Posted

karen i havent had bone pain but omg my throat feels has tho it has a golf ball stuck half way down like you im on seritide 500 ventolin and spiriva  im also on tegretol for epilepsy and gabapentin for migraines 
    • Posted

Evening jackie25605

I'm on salbutamol & the seretide I'm on is much lower I'm on 125/120grms evohaler+counter & like you I've had a similar feeling in my throat which feels painful & have to take paracetamol for it helps but am wandering if it means the inhaler doesn't suit me or maybe I shall be patient have been on the seretide less than a month it's one problamatic symptom after another don't you find? I wish you well jackie will be back soon.... 

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up