COPD Premature Deaths have dropped

Posted , 4 users are following.

I spotted a tiny item on the "health" page of a rubbishy magazine and checked it out, discovering to my amazement that it's correct!   Premature deaths from COPD dropped by 63% between 1982 and 2012:  verified by a reputable lung foundation internet site.

I was flabbergasted, because I've been assuming that as more of us older smokers and ex-smokers develop COPD the death rate would go up, but apparently not so.   Maybe we're being diagnosed earlier, better treatments are started earlier, rehab availability has improved - who knows?     

Whatever the reason, it's positive news I just had to pass on.

Footnote:  These figures would be for affluent western countries:  there's no doubt the death rate will go up drastically in poorer countries where tobacco companies are now pushing their products, often without restriction.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have been reading a lot about regenerative therapy using lung stem cells. Stem Cells have a great potential for treament. Science has taken a great leap. We are on the path to a cure for this disease. May be in next 10 yrs. Anyone who has gone through stem cells clinical trials ?? Who can throw some light on your experience ?? How you feel ??
    • Posted

Now., that would be wonderful!   Even more wonderful will be a long way into the future when the disease becomes virtually extinct because no-one smokes any more
    • Posted

Pretty much: although I understand a very small proportion of people with COPD have had long term asthma, bronchitis or longterm exposure to industrial pollution, most of us smoked or lived with people who did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.