COPD's companion effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

I haven't written for some time but would like to add a few points to previous posts in case they can assist others in a similar age group. In effect, little has changed in respect of breathing efficiency. And I remain free of aids for the condition.

?At 76 it is not practical to expect outstanding performance. Work and exercise routines continue. Winter weather does restrict activity at times, today's snow being a good example. I may decide to retire end-2018.

?It is apparent, however, that the smoking habit of ~54 years [54 x 365 x 10 = 197,100 cigarettes] plus working with asbestos during school holidays will have taken their toll. Highlighting the nicotine statistic is important as it has probably introduced other defects that otherwise would either not have occurred or could have been postponed. 

?Although not unusual in my age group I am now having to take warfarin and ratinil daily. The first drug became routine after two chest infections (2015/2016) and the second following raised blood pressure (2017). In addition, prostate problems are permanent. I might have got off lightly so far but the point is none of the above need have happened.

The message is simple: smokers must quit the habit.

Recently I have been surprised by the number of women who smoke. It would seem that men have taken in the lesson in recent years. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well I stopped smoking 35 years ago and than 21 years ago quad bypass than stent and then COPD.  
  • Posted

Congratulations for sharing your medical story.

I appreciate learning from your experiences

Please keep writing

please keep in touch with your story

• Posted

I tell young people who use pot, it’s great for a lot of things BUT make butter and eat DON’T SMOKE IT.  By the way I have and INOGEN portable available since I am now on home unit, it’s barely been used if you know of anyone in need. 
  • Posted

We are both 1942 and my COPD turned into Pulmonary Hypertension and last week my PSA came in at 12.8. I’m depressed BUT determined to do everything I can to make whatever future I have better for me and more importantly better and easier for everyone around me. (Saw an hour long special on Leonard Nimoy, you should watch it). 

I am on oxygen now just about 24/7 and have an almost new INOGEN ONE G3 with extra battery case etc. make an offer and it’s yours. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.