copd unbearable itching

Posted , 10 users are following.

I started Spiriva about 7 weeks ago  . The itching started about 3weeks ago 

2 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Underlines what I keep saying on here - we're all so different !

In my 30's to 50's I suffered from uncontrollable itching on lower legs and arms while insect bites took months to heal but since taking inhaled steroids and the occasional bouts of Prednisolone, it's all been fine for the past 6 years.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm a bit like you ,I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about 20 years ago ,,,,,not pleasant ,,,,,but touch wood etc ,,,,,since I've been on steroid inhalers for my asthma Bronchietis emphasyma ( copd) approx 15 years they seem to have helped also with the colitis,
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Bill3366, Itching? and where? how wide spread? I have been on spiriva for about the same length of time as you, I have a constant itch across the top of my back, well, thats the worst area! can't see it of course but it feels like there is raised area. I will be talking to doctor about it next visit!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The itching has gotten out of control. Sleep is only about 1to2 hrs at a shot . Could not sleep because of it last night and while sitting here I found this blog . Google   Spiriva itching allergic reaction . I'm done with Spiriva !
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Bill, smile 

I'm a newbie to the site and this group and quite by chance saw your post. 

I have also been on Spiriva for several years and although I now can't pin-point

the start of my itching, I've had it for quite some time. Doctor told me it

was just down to a dry skin area and gave me cream to put on - which was

totally useless as I couldn't reach the area at the top of my back to put it on

properly. 

Your post has made me wonder if the problem for me is also due to the

Spiriva ! 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I stopped using Spiriva two days ago, and the itching has really got much more bearable ,though my breathing is not good. My MD is aware of this and will see me this Wednesday. I need something to replace the Med with. Go to the Spiriva/itching Google site
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I am going to stop using my Spiriva for a few days I think, see if it makes any difference for me. I'm on 2 other inhalers too so should be able to get by with them for a few days. Of course, it may be that it is one of the other inhalers that is causing the itching for me - but I will try and find out. 

Hope your doctor can find something else suitable for you and I will check out that site you mention - thank you smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Bill,

Thought I would tell you about my recent experience with Spiriva.  I was on the medicatiion for approx 6 months without any side effects, then suddenly I was

itching everywhere.  Doctors gave me creams and tablet still it didnt stop, then

my phamacist looked up and there it was spiriva can cause itching.  I stopped taking the medication and within two weeks the itching had gone.  That was over

8 months ago, and I started last thursday using it again as my breathing was

really bad and sputum was excessive, last night the itching started so I have 

an appointment to see gp next week to ask for an alternative

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up