COPD & weight loss

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, my name is Julie and I am new here, I really need advise if anyone can help?.

My mum was diagnosed in Jan 2012 with COPD. She is 71 and has smoked since she was 20, she still smokes.

She has always been a slim build but has been losing weight quite rapidly the last 2-3 years.  Today she was weighed at the hospital and weighs 34.4KG, her height is 5.1.

Mum only goes to the dr once a year for her peak flow and sats to be recorded.  Thats all, she has never seen a chest physician.  Her new dr made an appointment to see an endocrinologist.  He wants mum to have a CT scan, bloods taken, pool sample to be given.

My mum is literally skin and bone and the Registrar suggests that the weight loss is due to COPD.  

Can any one help?

Thank you

Julie

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Julie, 

Not sure if I can help as mine had cancer too, but I'd guess she lost anywhere between 3-4 stone in her last year, at least (again an estimate) 1-2 of those in her last few months. She was 71 also, and a smoker for many decades. 

I personally would take the referral - but remember,  it's her call as to what course if action, if any, she chooses to take, whether that be scans and/or treatment. 

Best wishes and

* hugs *

hanb 

• Posted

smoking heavily can cause COPD so Mum needs to address that.  An endocrinologist would be an idea to see if there is a hormonal imbalance in the body.

She should pay a few more visits to the drs to get checked out.

Richard

• Posted

Hi Julie,

I have read that COPD can cause weight loss due to over breathing - you have to use a lot of energy.

Pat.

• Posted

Hi Julie

Sorry to hear that your mam has COPD. You just have to hang in there and help her as much as you can. I heard that my ex has COPD after years and years of smoking. He is 6'4" and 18stone and lives in USA.I have been told that he is now 12 stone and losing weight quite rapidly. I wish i could help but i am not a medical person. I will send you all big hugs and ask you to rely on the medical people that you have around you all right now.

Sending you lots of love and hugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.