Coping?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered from severe depression and anxiety since I could remember, but I started treatment of therapy and meds in 1994.  My depression and anxiety are debilitating.

My question is, how do you cope with these feelings when you find yourself stuck?  How do you handle yourself if you feel a panic attack coming?  I used to get really mad, and that made me lose my job.  I have to find better ways to cope, but I need ideas.  Anyone?  Thank you for your time and for reading this.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

H:i Anita,

I'm sorry you are having trouble.  I certainly understand how unhappy you must feel; I also had a moderate depression/anxiety that did not respond to most medications. For years I went from depression and then to anxiety - with very few "normal" days. It is hard to force yourself to try new things, but I realized that I had to do something.  I began mild exercise (walking) and gradually increased the speed until I had a good pace going.  It was so hard to get myself out of the house, but I kept pushing myself.  I slowly began to notice less anxiety!  The depression took longer to lift, but it finally did after I invested in a home exercise "stepper" machine.  I was sweating bullets but it began to work.

I also began to get serious about my prayer life.  Some people find it offensive when I mention this, but I must state that it has taken my mind off of my problems and focused me in a better direction.  All in all, I am very happy with how I feel at this point.  Total time invested has been about 8mos.

I hope this will help you, as I do understand how you feel.

• Posted

I think I'm on the right track, then.  Thanks, Nancy!  I have a young dog that I constantly walk and take on trails, so I'm getting fit.  And, just recently, I purchased a Bible and Crucifix.  I felt like I needed more in my life, but I didn't tell anyone.  I keep my religion to myself. 

This sickness... it's so exhausting, but I'll do my best.  Thank you so much. 

• Posted

Hi, i have just seen this.  I pray and ive been anxiety free ever since. Pray in lord jesus christs name you will be healed.  If you truly believe you will be healed you will.
  • Posted

Hi, depression and anxiety are horrible.  Thr way i deal with it is by exercising every single day, it really does.  I helps you manage sleep, mood and appetite and makes you feel good about yourself.  The way i also deal with panic attacks is by reminding myself that it is nothing.  When you give your anxiety the power over you it will just takr over. If you look at what anxiety actually is and you see see it for what it really is you can get over it.  I saw how stupid my anxiety was and how it made me feel and realised that i couldnt live the rest of my life like that.   If you let go of the anxiety and atop placing your anxiety and depression on a pedastal you will realise you can over come it.  It all depends on what your mental health issues are caused by if it is biological medication will probably help you over come it but if its environmental maybe cojnselling will help.  Or both? 

I would also suggest you keep a diary once you recognise your triggers and you stop repeating bad habits keeping you in this viscious circle you can make it through.    

Lastly, hypnosis is really good and worked for me.    Find a registered hypnotherapist perhaps?

• Posted

You know, just yesterday I mentioned to my sister I was even contemplating hypotherapy.  I am definitely more aware of my religion and beliefs, and I pray every day.  I wonder if I should bother, then I remember to have faith, and I do.  I keep letting the anxiety get to me.  I was a legal secretary for 30 years.  The job has severely changed these days, and I'm terrified that I won't be able to enter back into society and into the job world.  I pray to God that He will let me.  Thank you, Olivia.
    • Posted

Hi Anita,

We have many things in common, including the depression and anxiety. I also held highly demanding jobs in administration for 25+ years. I have been doing well with a home-based business, but now I must integrate back into the public sector and I am terrified that my skills are outdated. It does cause me a lot of stress and worry, so I have been praying continually everytime I feel the panic start to rise. I have an unsinkable faith that the Lord will make a way for us - we just need to fix it in our minds!  I appreciate your post and will add you to my prayers. I believe that this is just a season that will pass, but we need to try our very best to conquer it.

• Posted

Oh, Nancy, you hit it on the head exactly.  I don't feel that I can face the future, and I'm praying every day.  My faith is deep, but my anxiety sometimes gets in the way.  Am I forgottened?  Thank you for your kind words.  I will add you to my prayers as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.