Coping

Posted , 12 users are following.

hi everyone, found this site thank god, I'm 4 days after tkr and am managing just to bend to 84 but the physio reckons I'm not doing well, I'm up on crutches walking as well, I thought my pain barrier was good but it's obviously not. Any advice would be great.

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ice, ice, ice, ice, ice! And has your doctor set you up with a CPM machine? Being in that all night/day will help with your range of motion and pain. Everyone's experiences are different, but 84° at 4 days isn't terrible! Generally, docs and physios want you to be at 90° before leaving the hospital, so if you're already out, just keep doing those ROM exercises! And don't forget about extension. It's just as important as the flexion and will help things along the more you work on it! This is a process and will take a lot of hard work, so just keep at it! Good luck!
    • Posted

Thank you, I have had the use of the CPM machine for twenty minutes once a day, and worked my way up to that today. You are right! My doc said this morning when I get to 90 I can go home so I am hoping to do that tomorrow. Home is not where I am living at the mo so I will be relying on good friends to help with the physio. I appreciate and will heed your advice. Thank you
    • Posted

I'm surprised they only have you in it for 20 min! I was in it all day and night non stop and I'm incredibly thankful for that! Once I got home, I only used it sporadically in the day, but slept with my leg in it and it did wonders for my ROM and pain during the night and next morning. I would ask if you can be in it longer, personally. It definitely couldn't hurt! It helps scar tissue from building up which hinders flexion, so worth asking about.
    • Posted

Hi, I am going to ask them to leave it with me today, and only  this morning I have managed  to get myself in and out of bed using a scarf with a knot to put my foot in and managed that, so I cen see it is improving but ever so slightly. My hubby has come in before he starts work and bought me in a gel pack that slips inside a band that goes around the knee to keep it cold so thank you for the ice pack mention, it is all highly appreciated and also please keep up your good work
    • Posted

That ice pack sounds amazing. In India it's a little more archaic. I had the hard plastic ice packs you put in a cooler. And there were so many of us sharing them that sometimes they weren't even frozen. Makes me chuckle thinking about it.
    • Posted

When you are at home, use pack of frozen peas for icing.  I wrap them in a towel & when finished put them back in the freezer . They are great as they dont leak & can be moulded to your knee.  Just buy the cheapest brand, 1 kg.
    • Posted

Hi Sandra, I will get some peas, as you are right they will mould around the leg. At this moment I am using the soft gel packs that go into their own special wrap to go around the knee, like a blood pressure band. Thanks for advice.
  • Posted

I think you are doing good. I don't even think i was allowed to try to bend my knee like that right away. But I had my surgery in India. Definitely ice. And I think just about every one I've see comment on how they thought they had a high tolerance to pain and this surgery changed all that. Me too! So, in my opinion, you are in good company.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I am away from home too,  and the physio forced my knee up today and since then I have not been able to do even the baby exercises as I call them for the pain. I did read up a lot before TKR and thought I could handle the pain, but obviously I can't, so thank you for sharing your experiences, it does make a difference.
    • Posted

Gill, before you can really get better you have to reduce the pain to manageable. Talk to your docs immediately. They can find you relief as everyone is different and react best to different meds. It may be trial and error but they can do it. 2 things that are important to healing........being pain free and rest, but add to that, hydration. Plenty of water at all times. Fluids allow the soft tissue to streatch this giving the necessary flex
    • Posted

thank you for your good advice, my tablets at the moment is cerablex twice a day and solphadine once a day, but after yesterday's little episode I asked for tramadol and they gave me one, so this morning before the physios get here I am going to ask for another tramadol and hope that will help with the pain once they start. I will also need your advice and take plenty of fluids as I did not know this helped as well. It's good to hear from other people how they managed with tkr. Thank you
  • Posted

Tell the physio that your knee cant read the book that says it shuld bend more. At 4 days I hadnt mnaged to raise my leg, I did that on day 5. Your pan threashold lowers whan your down and with an idiot of a physio it will feel worse. Exercis and ice 6/7 times a day. Whenever your sitting exercise. Gradually start weight bearing with crutches and move to sticks. Mostly Id say ignore the physio
    • Posted

thank you for your reply. It's good to know that others have gone through what I am going through as you do feel as that you are alone sometimes, and hopefully I can learn from their experiences and try and be more positive. Thank you for the good advice.
  • Posted

My answer to the therapist, it's your fault then, I'm doing everything you told me to do so you figure it out and let me know. If you don't get it figured out I'll discuss your inadequacy with your supervisor and my doctor.
    • Posted

Well said, couldn't agree more. I think they forget we are not as fit as them hence the operation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.