Coping mechanism

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

The pain can be debilitating. Sometimes it is so bad we rub our face or tense up even further in order to “make it go away”. I usually cope by lying down on the floor with soothing music in the background, take deep breaths (helps to imagine how you would lie on the ground after a 20-mile run with head fully rested with jaw relaxed and mouth slightly open) and let the pain come and go without resisting. The facial muscles will be released gradually in waves. The pain is so intense we fear it but if we try to face it by breaking the cycle (from “pain~>reaction~>more pain” to “pain~>no reaction by facing it with breathing exercises~>slow de-escalation of pain level”), things do get better. Works for me and I hope it will for you too.

Warm wishes

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

P.S. Cutting down on both sugar and cold drinks helps. Take warm beverages and exercise.
  • Posted

P.S. Cutting down on both sugar and cold drinks helps. Take warm beverages and exercise.
  • Posted

Cutting down on sugar and cold drink..is it personal experience or suggested advice?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.