Coping Skills Just Aren't There

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am moving my business across the street from where I live, in an attempt to simplify my life, but changing locations has required a massive renovation, which I am right in the middle of. I thought that this project would be a good distraction from the physical and mental symptoms of perimenopause, but I am finding it incredibly hard to cope.

Even though I have so much good in my life, my brain is locking into fear and any perceived negative. I just keep pushing myself to continue because I don't know what else to do, but I am physically and mentally drained.

It is just so hard for me to conceive that hormones can so fundamentally alter my personality. I used to be so confident, bubbly, optimistic, and full of energy.

I have been doing this for two years now, and I continue to forge ahead because I want to live my life, and I know that I have a lot to look forward to.

My cycles have changed a lot in the last two years: they were shorter, but now they are lengthening. Based upon how awful things are symptom-wise, I am hoping and really trying to believe that I am near the end now. I mean, really, how much longer can something like this go on for?! It's mind-boggling.

Any support or encouragement would be welcomed:)

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know the last thing you want to hear is some cheerleader BS, but how cool is it that you own your business and it is across the street from your home! I was fired for the first time ever due to my migraine auras. I am currently unemployed (and single). I would love to own a business and/or commute across the street to work. Perimenopause has ruined my professional career. I know you are struggling, but try to think how lucky you are to have a viable income, especially one where you don't have to answer to a boss. I am scared for my future, you seem to have a wonderful (and lucrative) future to look foward to. Sometimes what you have is someone else's dream. That is pretty amazing even if it feels stressful. xo

• Posted

I had to stop working too. It is truly shocking what the lack of hormones does to us and how changed we become. My thoughts and prayers to all of us struggling so.

• Posted

first i want to say thats awesome good for you having a a good business and it being right across the street from your home. and you pushing through these horrible symptoms i wish i could do that i know i could if i didnt have off balance dizziness every day all day. and to answer your question on how long can this go on for everything ive read since i started this journey 9 years ago has different timelines. some say average 4 years but most ive read says 10-15 years start to finish very unfair thats alot of years it takes away from many of us that truly suffer. again good for you pushing through and going on with life hope this journey ends for you soon.

• Posted

I hear you on the coping skills.. Om my goodness I used to be independent now not so much.. Anything that happens, my aniexty kicks in. Maybe it is good I"m married so I have someone to help me out if needed.. But really that is really awesome that you have your own business AND the fact that it's across the street from your house is another major plus!!! I know it's a pain now but just keeping thinking of the end... So much more convenient to roll out of bed and walk across the street!! : )

• Posted

Hi there! you are not alone! This is a very common phenomenon when it comes to Menopause - when we reach the age of menopause it is usually a time in our lives where there is much change coming upon us ..and it makes us have that fear of the unknown feeling, kind of a lack of control feeling ..this in turn causes some anxiety, panic and irrational thoughts. When we were younger we seemed to have had been able to juggle the changes and mishaps of life a bit finer. Now that we are aging there is that "mortality" presence lingering around.

The good news is..we have a great life ahead of us! I too, go thru these moments of oh god...what if?? and think of all the negative things that "could" happen. I also work by steaming full speed ahead like you and I agree it gets exhausting! There are times I just will cry for a few seconds and the feelings vanish which tell me that it just emotions running wild.

What I try to do is acknowledge it is a "transition", its a "change" for you and it is Real ..and that although you are a confident woman you are also going through the Mental and physical changes that we all go through and know that they are safe, normal and will pass. My mother told me this also, she said you will feel a fear of unknown and sense of mortality and then she said you take a turn and you will be fine. It's all transitioning in our lives, the feelings, emotions are real, so is the anxiety ..good luck with your move! I know it is hard to keep plugging through...believe me I get it! I try to acknowledge the good days that is when I tell myself this is all normal s**t ..it will pass - hope this helps!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.