Coping with Giant Cell Arteritis

Posted , 13 users are following.

I was diagnosed GCA in October last year. CRP level was 76. Immediately put on high dosage prednisone and within weeks, CRP down to 4, currently on 7. Every test possible was conducted, cardiac, vascular, optic. Biopsy of minor temporal artery confirmed diagnosis which was first mis-diagnosed as TIA by locum at ([rivate) med centre. (Thank goodness I kicked and screamed or else I would have been happily chomping on statins and slowly going blind!) Fortunately, no eye damage and disorder localised to temporal area. Over time, headaches, auras, jaw claudication went. The paper-thin skin remains. Just one little bump - even a handshake - produces ruptured blood vessels, but more of a talking point than a worry. So do the dry, gritty eyes. Artificial tears clears that problem. Even tastebuds returning to normal which is the best news for a devout foodie and food photographer!

Now remains tapering off prednisone and other medications: Omeprazole to reduce acid in the stomach, low dosage aspirin as a blood thinner and Fosamax (once weekly) to maintain bone density. I was told to eat lots of fibre, eat fruit, drink milk. Any side-effect issues were not a problem and could be dealt with, said the doctors. The tonne of weight I've put on? The moon face? Just for the duration. Don't let it bother you. Blame everything on Prednisone. Of course all this was a challenge to tolerance: I hadn't seen a doctor in 20 or more years (thought they were there to kill you), never had any drugs other than the occasional paracetemol, fit and healthy, (I will be 75 in a couple of months' and play competitive petanque three times a week) and suddenly I was drowning in them! But I knew it was par for the course. Grin and bear it, it will all go away in time.

Both my GP and hospital rheumatologist are thrilled with my progress; they respect my desire to be kept informed and understand what is happening; case notes are shared between the three of us, they say attitude helps enormously.

And I have a mountain of respect for them - and our universal health system!

Cheers from Auckland, New Zealand. 

1 like, 179 replies

179 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm am 20 years younger then you and feel 90. I wish I had your health. Because in the last year I've gone from feeling like I was 55 to feeling like I was 90. I am so glad that you have enjoyed such good health. I hope that you're able to taper with no problems and get through this PMR journey quickly.

• Posted

Thanks amkoffee. Don't get me wrong - sometimes I get like that too. Though my age-mentor is a 94yr-old friend who plays petanque, swims in the harbour every day in the summer, gives talks in U3A. Puts a lot of whingers to shame! Mantra is put up (correction - live with) with the crap, blame it on the medication. 

• Posted

Now that sounds like a relatively good experience! Wish everyone ot that sort of management - except the private medical centre one!
    • Posted

For some 'official' document or another I had to provide the name of my doctor. Not having one, I registered at a local medical centre. After a couple of goes, I registered with a very good (woman) doctor. She listens, she understands and she discusses. I am more than just a patient across the desk. The centre charges like a wounded bull, but she's worth it.

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing very well. Been 4 years for me and bone density only down a little--fine for my age which is 75 also. I made a decision not to take Fosamax. I only took the Omeprazole when I was on Methotrexate--what a nightmare, will never do that again. You are very lucky to have your biopsy be positive--for many it is negative by the time they get it done and then some doctors do not accept that you have GCA.  Just remember that you know when your head, your jaw, etc. flair .  One way I know when I am in a near flair is the top of my scalp is tender and my jaw begins to hurt--.  Just lately I had a sudden hearing loss with Pulsatile tinnitus for the day after.  It was definately some sort of arteritis and we are watching me as I have tapered down to 6 mg.Pred.  Last year very comfortable at  3 mg Prednisone--tried to go down and had a flair.  I think we are all very different and mostly need to listen to our bodies and pray we have a doctor who really listens to us.  There may be some connection of GCA with the Zoster virus.  You may want to check that out. 
    • Posted

Hi Kerry. A consultant at the eye hospital conducted tests and said there was no sign of pressure behind the eyes but recommended a biopsy of a right temporal artery. She also said, sometimes the results are negative, in which case, to make absolutely sure, a biopsy would be done of an artery on the left side. Fortunately, first attempt reinforced the diagnosis of CGA.

Coming off prednisone creates a relapse of GCA each time dosage is reduced. The flairs can be explained in the resurgence of the adrenal gland production of cortisol v prednisone that suppressed it. Controlling the balance is tricky. But it settles. 

A medsafe.govt.nz data sheet on prednisone states 'Long-term use in the elderly should be planned bearing in mind the more serious consequences of the common side-effects of prednisone in old age, especially osteoporosis, diabetes, hypertension, hypokalaemia, susceptibility to infection and thinning of the skin. Close medical supervision is required to avoid life threatening reactions'. 

A good reason to persevere with Fosamax. 

• Posted

"The flairs can be explained in the resurgence of the adrenal gland production of cortisol v prednisone that suppressed it."

Not until you get to below about 10mg/day. Above that the in-house production of cortisol is suppressed - there is more than enough corticosteroid circulating and the body doesn't care if it is natural or artificial. In some ways it is like your heating thermostat stopping the boiler producing more heat - it doesn't care if it is because the heating system produced the heat or the sun was shining and it was hot outside.

• Posted

Ooops - forgot to say, flares in GCA are nothing more or less than the dose of pred you reduced to was too low to manage the inflammation. Or you developed steroid withdrawal pain from changing the dose too much in one go. But they are 2 different things.
    • Posted

With the caveat, Sandy, that most people, I admit not everyone, with PMR and even GCA can fairly rapidly reduce their dose of prednisone to a level which has minimal effect on bones. It's not like being at a high dose for an extended period of time even if one is on some level of pred for years.  I've been on prednisone for over two years, but only for ten or eleven months was my dose above 5 mg, and other measures I took, such as supplementation and weight-bearing exercise, were not only sufficient to maintain my bone density, but also improved it.  A drug like Fosamax with its own suite of serious side effects should only be taken if necessary, never as a preventative for a condition which doesn't exist.

• Posted

I have been on pred for 8 years, a lot of the time to start with at well over 10mg. The received wisdom is that I should have been on alendronic acid/Fosamax (AA), I was handed it with my pred prescription right at the start. I took 4 tablets and hated it - so, having done my research, I discussed it with a different GP who agreed with me. Wait for the dexa result and reassess. My dex was fine, no AA. The next dexa 3+ years later gave an, to all intents and purposes, identical result. The last dexa done late last year should a minimal lowering of bone density. There are at least 2 ladies who had GCA, were on GCA doses of pred for 5 years - their bone density remained perfect. Neither of them took calcium and vit D, never mind AA. 

I have no cavil with it being used short-term where necessary - but not "just in case" and for more than a few years. The FDA have said not more than 5 years, more recent figures are not more than 2 years. And that is also what the experts are finding in more recent research. For 2 years it allows denser bone to be built, but later the bone formed is showing cracks in the structure. Which put you at risk of the atypical fractures that are a feature of bisphosphonates. And don't believe the assertions it is very very rare - on another PMR/GCA forum there are 2 ladies with bilateral atypical femoral fractures, one isn't healing even post-surgery. There are also several with jaw/dental problems. That is in a community of perhaps a couple of thousand at most over the last 4 years. That isn't "very very rare".

I not saying never, they do have their place. Not everyone loses bone density on steroids, about half the USA population develop osteoporosis anyway - and one figure I saw for steroid use was similar. Unless you do a dexascan before/at the same time  initiating long term steroid use you can't know which is which. So - use wisely. Dexascan, if it is OK intiate the sort of program Anhaga uses, not hand over a pill that may not be necessary. And the walking for the bone density also contributes to managing the PMR/GCA better.

• Posted

Good luck, sandy08116, I do wish that we all had a medical team that would work with us. I am happy for you and wish you the best. Please advise us of your progress. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.