coping with hyperthyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi my name is marie , i am 45 years old, i live in skelmersdale lancs and have recently wrote in to share my experience. i wondered if anybody can reccomend a hair product that works as the amount of hair i am losing is starting to concern me. i have purchased a \"horse mane and tail \" shampoo and conditioner for horses which i am told works wonders. i will share my results. anybody want to write back ? i am struggling to cope with running the toliet all the time on adose of 40mg a day . can anybody advise if the side effects of the carbimazole settle down ie nausea, dizziness , running the toliet. thanks x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

It takes a while for the carbimazole to kick in, but when it does you will feel much better.

As for the side effects they never went for me but for most people they do so don't disspare it will get better.

Lizzy

• Posted

thanks for replying. i do feel slightly better but am still having problems with running to the toilet. i had an off day today, aches and pains etc and feeling low but live in hope. i appear to have put on a little weight around 7lbs. did you have a problem with weight gain or are you ok ? the horse shampoo appears to have worked a treat. my hair is thicker and in much better condition. go back in jan for more bloods, life insurance wont insure me until the thyroid levels are more balanced !
  • Posted

Hi , once your thyroid levels are more stable the runs, sickness etc will go. I too lost a lot of hair but, this was only temporary.As for the aches & pains i have them in my legs & shoulders & this is down to your thyroid as well as meds.I started off on 40mg carbimazole & this sent me under then meds were reduced & i went over.This has been happening over the best part of a year & i have now been told they cannot control my thyroid so, i am going to have rai in 4 months.Oh the joyslol Who would think that such a small organ could cause so much trouble. Take care Elaine.
  • Posted

hi elaine i think i will be taking a trip back to the gp as i am gaining weight and as i am already overweight i am concerned. just after ive eaten i tend to get stomach pains. i have been on 40mg carbimazole for 4 weeks and thought symptoms were getting easier but for the last 2 days i have had the pains back in my legs, tiredness and crying for no reason. i hate this thyroid crap. am not due for another blood test until jan but think i may go back sooner. when this nausea feeling and aches in the shoulders hands and legs comes on i am fit for nothing. how are you feeling ? x
  • Posted

Hi marie, sorry your not feeling to good i think its a good idea for you to go back to your gp as your carbimazole may need reducing. I have had the pains in my legs, shoulders etc for the best part of my illness which is 11 months some days are better than others & this is down to your thyroid levels. I never suffered from stomach pains but, did have headaches & episodes of dizzeness but, thank god these have now subsided. Hope you get on ok at docs let me know. Take care. Elaine.x
  • Posted

Can you please give me the proprietory name of the Hors shampoo.
  • Posted

hi vera the horse mane and tail shampoo is made by straight arrow and can be purchased at pet stores or walmart. i got mine on ebay. x
  • Posted

Thank You very much for the information
  • Posted

Hi, I've been on carbimazole for 7 weeks now, can't say it is making me feel any better - think my hair is starting to thin - does this tail and mane shampoo really work and if so which type :?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.