Coping with sciatica

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone I could do with some advice? I suffered sciatica after slipping a disc many years ago however since my half knee replacement op nearly two weeks ago I'm suffering terribly when lying in bed? My sciatica is also on the same side as operated knee and I can't get comfortable when lying down either on my side or back my knee feels like it's on fire and the pain from the sciatica runs from the base of my spine down the buttock then radiates right the way down my thigh and calf! I'm at my wits end through lack of sleep! Also the operated knee keeps going horribly numb the only way I can describe it is the feeling you get when you've crossed your legs for too long when sitting and I have a lot of pain behind the knee and calf as well! I know it's still early days but are these symptoms normal or should I have them investigated?  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'd say that definitely needs checking out by your team and let them decide if it is OK or not.

I personally would be asking my Bowen therapist if they could help too - google it to find out more. It is a very gentle therapy working on muscles - and it is very likely your sciatic nerve is being pinched by spasmed muscles which Bowen would help with. 

• Posted

Thanks Eileen I'll definitely ask! I'm going for a wound check thus afternoon and will also pick doctors brains as well!! 
  • Posted

I had new plastic knee cap and trochlea (metal bit behind it) 11 weeks ago. Am currently hobbling about due to muscle wastage, but I too had swelling behind knee, pain in calf and the numb feeling in my knee.  I kept taking medication (had 3 courses of naproxen) and gradually swelling and pain subsided. I'm still experiencing numbness in knee but not as severe, maybe nerves are knitting back together. Worst bit was not only numbness but also the tightness across the top of knee. If you're on this forum you'll see that lots of us suffered with the same thing, and my consultant says its normal. It is now getting better - slowly!

Two weeks is very early to be doing alot of worrying, try and relax a bit (I know that's easier said than done when you're in pain and feeling miserable). I've only had sciatica once - I took strong medication, had some physio and used hot water bottle.......but I hadn't got partial knee replacement at the same time!  My friend had it for weeks and bought a TENS machine which she said saved her! 

• Posted

Thanks Pam I have a tens machine tucked away I think it needs to resurface? I've spoken with my gp and he's putting out some stronger pain killers so hoping I can at least get some sleep! 
  • Posted

I also suffered with sciatica from day two . . Fortuantely for me, after about a month it just went away on its own.  I do think that the exercise of sliding the heel up the bed made it worse, but it started even before I was doing exercises.  Maybe the position during the operation has some bearing on this. . I still have nerve pain in the thigh at 21 weeks, and wonder if it will ever go away!  I think the numbness is likely to be permanent . . the nerves do take a bashing in this operation!  Hope your sciatica clears up soon. I can honestly say it caused me as much pain as the knee itself, although the rest of the leg was probably the worst!  
    • Posted

I have to agree the pain of sciatica is just as bad as the knee pain! I've bought a tens machine today and it's made a huge difference already

• Posted

Hi Mandy, don't know if this will help but I've suffered from sciatica type pain for months since my TKR. Mine has been diagnosed as piriformis syndrome. Don't know why it's happened but the muscle in my buttock has tightened, putting pressure on the sciatic nerve and causing pain all down the back of my leg. 

I've been given exercises which are helping, and, although it's taken months, I am now beginning to see improvement. 

Maybe it's worth you checking if this is causing your problem? Just an idea.

Jen (10 months post op) 

• Posted

Thanks Jen that's very interesting I will certainly look into this! It has to be something to do with the surgery as it's never been this bad and unless I have the tens machine on nothing is touching the discomfort! I'm back on amitryptaline for night time pain relief but hate them as I can't wake up in the mornings?? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.