Coping with Steroids.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was wondering if anyone else gets a bad reaction to steroids, and if youv found any way of helping.I just been put on them again, and last night i didnt get to sleep untill 3.30 am , all my nerves are going ,i am tossing and turning constantly, my brain is like vidio recorder , i try to get up and go to the toilet stretch a bit, but all no good.I have taken them early morning hoping that may help.

Hugs Pam

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Pam

Having spent a lifetime intermittently on steroids of various sorts for various conditions the side effects for me are similar

pros

beyond helping the condition that needed them, often works best on the cusp of finishing them it gives great creativity, the best ideas of my working life, energy and clarity of thought

cons

insomnia, easy to lose temper, impatience, upset stomach, hunger,  weight gain, skin problems.

last year I had a new steroid and took it for nearly a year to avoid brain swelling after neurosurgery. I think it worked but had most of the side effects.

My conclusion was that you are stuck with the side effects to get the undoubted benefits. Finally only to be taken under close medical supervision.

regards

Brian

• Posted

Hi Brian, thank you for you input. seems i have to put up with it.

Hugs Pam

• Posted

Pam,

I have been on prednisone for years and, of course, take it in the morning (30mg). Fortunately, my body tolerates it pretty well.

But, years ago, I really had a bad spell (was on a respirator in ICU for 6 days). I then was on a high dosage of prednisone (80mg). I was only able to get about 4 hrs of sleep.  My doctor gave me a prescription for a mild sleeping pill, which helped. Also, you can take  Melatonin, you can get it at most pharmacys where the vitamins and supplements are. Your body produces melatonin naturely to prepare your body for sleep.

I was on that high dosage for about a month, and did have side effects. Weight gain and the 'moon' face.

But the up side is that it really helps with keeping the airways open and therefore keeping infections down.

Take care,Beth

• Posted

Hi Beth, thank you for that , i will have a look at melatonin.

Hugs pam

• Posted

Hi Pam

Sometimes the counterintuitive helps: try taking them at bedtime. This works with some other insomnia-inducers because the drugs won't be in effect until after you're asleep. I have to use sleeping pills because chronic pain prevents all useful sleep otherwise, and steroids can override my sleeping pills. But for someone not normally on sleeping pills, they should do the trick.

My reactions are worse so much hadn't had any for maybe all this century til I was hospitalized last year. Benadryl half an hour before steroids every time & I got by okay.

• Posted

Hi Pamela, I've been on prednisolone for several years and on high doses for the last 2.5 years. Unfortunately, it's a side effect of the high doses, you tend to get completely wired. I've heard of people splitting their dose, half at bedtime and half in the morning, to help ease the symptoms.

that side effect. What dose are you on now and will you be able to taper down?

Unless you need to get up in the morning to go to work or similar, you may just decide that a couple of hours being awake at night can be used for something other than trying to sleep. I'm not suggesting you start hoovering, but I've been up at night ironing, doing my shopping list, reading etc. Adapt, don't fight it! Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Susanne, thank you for the advice, i will try spittling see how it goes. 

hugs pam

• Posted

Hi Pam

While there might be days when it might seem that the bad effects are greater than the good, they can be lifesavers too and their power of them really does outweigh the bad. Remember too, when you can come of them, you should taper off the dosage. I hope you are well soon

Best wishes

Brian

• Posted

Hi Brian thank you for that, I will remember, 

Hugs Pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.