Copper Coil- Advice needed

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had the copper IUD inserted mid March and my injection is due to wear off in May (so now). I bled on and off after insertion for a few weeks and then had a phase where everything seemed normal. I have been back for my second consulation and was told everything was in the right place. However for the last three weeks I seem to be having a permanent period. I'm really confused as to whether it is because the injection is wearing off or it is related to the coil. To complicate matters I took Norethisterone to stop the bleeding while on holiday which worked but everytime I stop taking the pills I start bleeding again (I know this is a side effect but as I say it is very prolonged bleeding). I am not experiencing any unusual pain. I'm about to take exams so haven't had time to go to the doctor and wondered if anyone had any similar experience or suggestions as to what may be the cause? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bobby,

I had the IUD fitted and since getting that done a year ago I had periods that lasted a week at a time, every 3 weeks. I suffered heavy clotting and my hair started falling out because of Iron loss.

Since having it taken out and gone onto Yasmin pill my periods have completely stopped.

I too used Norethisterone because I was going on holiday and couldnt bare 7 days of bleeding through my clothes sad

Soon as I stopped taking it I was straight back on again.

I know they warn you about this when you get the IUD fitted but they dont tell you that certain cases can experience what we have. This is what happens on the IUD and I would advise you get it taken out.

X

• Posted

This happened to my fri
    • Posted

Not sure what happened there... This site isn't very good from a phone!

But yes this happened to a friend on the copper coil, she just took iron tablets and surfed it out. To her she wanted to give her body a chance to settle before she had it taken out.

I've been very lucky with my copper coil, apart from irratic and heavier periods all is good smile

But I'd say just to see if you could cope any more personally smile, and after you exam have another check up?

• Posted

Thanks for the responses! I am so keen to avoid hormones so I will definitely try to ride it out a while longer. I know my docotor initially advised keeping it in for 6 months and so as long as it's not dislodged I may try and make that mark. I think I'll ask for some iron supplements too. Sorry to hear about your experience supermummy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.