Copper coil causing constant UTI's?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey girls,

I am having some issues with my coil. I have had nothing but praise for the copper coil since I had it put in around 8 months ago - however I am now starting to have some issues that I believe are related. I have always been prone to UTI's - normally I can get rid of them quickly by drinking a lot of water or taking a sachet. I have had some strange burning sensation when I pee - around December..I had check ups and all came back clear. I then developed the worst UTI I have ever had in February. I had 2 sets of antibiotics and it was relentless. Eventually it faded away - but I never felt fully better. It is over 2 months later and I still feel this pain and pressure (it is bearable now but still doesn't feel right) - it also hurts when I have sex. It is a strange feeling, its like burning. I almost feel like the balance isn't right if that makes sense. I have read many forums and seen people having similar problems and saying things about the infection 'sticking' to the plastic device. I want to go and have it taken out - but I react badly to hormonal contraception so not sure what I'll do. Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar?? Thanks 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi cat i was on copper coil for 10 yrs,i have had problems in the past with really bad water infections i found it was lime lemon oranges anything  acidic would start me off even a little lemon juice on fish white wine, red is ok though thank god..it always caused bactiria on the wall of my bladder then ended up on my kidneys it was hell.the best thing to do is keep off these kinds of things for a while and drink a glass of cranberry juice a day believe it or not it protects the wall of your bladder to future infections i thought it wouldnt work but i am pleased to tell you i have not had a bladder infection for at least 8 years so all good.dont knock it to you try it.all the best julie.
  • Posted

Hi, I have been experiencing similar symptoms a couple of years later after having an IUD put in. I choose the one without hormones. Now, I have terrible cramps during period and even ovulation. And then I started getting repetitive UTI. I told my doctor and even went to see urologist because I couldn't understand how I went from never getting an UTI to getting them once a month. Doctors tells you the typical and most common stuff which is hygienes and sex, but I knew I was doing everything right. I know now that this constants UTI are link to IUD. We know our bodies better than doctors do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.